PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Revit Discussion Forums!

christopher.zoog51272
2003-04-30, 03:46 AM
Hi everyone!

What started out as an experiment in Linux, php, and mySQL, has blossomed into a new place to discuss Revit and whatever else we feel like!

The recent problems with alt.cad.revit, had me a little worried. Was our beloved newsgroup going to stick around? Would it be scrapped, only to be replaced by a new, moderated group on AutoDesk’s discussion servers? And while these are probably nothing more than leftover fears from the takeover days, the thought still lingered in the back of my head. So I thought I would look into hosting a non-moderated (with a few exceptions - see below) on my newly built web server. As it turns out, it really wasn’t that hard; two nights later we have a working forum. Thanks to beauty and genius of Linux and the GNU GPL, all of this was created for FREE!

It is certainly not my intension to for this discussion forum to replace alt.cad.revit or the RUGI message board, but rather supplement them. This site just provides another way to talk about the same thing. But, do we really need another way? Well, there are a few advantages to a UBB style forum. For one, everybody uses a (customizable) web interface so it will look the same no matter where you are or who’s computer you are on. You also don’t need a newsreader program. This board also includes several features an NTTP server does not (private messaging and later, instant messaging, to name a few) Personally, I’ve always preferred this style of forum. But, it’s really not important what I want, it’s up to you, the users! If this place flops, then “oh well”, at least I had fun making it. If it takes off, then we’ll continue the experiment together, hopefully having great time along the way!

A word about Moderation:

What many of us love of about alt.cad.revit is that simple fact that it is un-moderated. It’s place where you can speak your mind, good or bad or indifferent, without fear of your post being deleted. However, the big disadvantage to this is, of course, SPAM! Well, think of this place as alt.cad.revit ultra: “all the flavor, with none of the Spam”. We will use moderating powers sparingly; there are only few things that will not be tolerated (any racial or ethic slurs for one, it saddens me that I would even have to say this). I encourage everyone act in a professional manner.

I will be adjusting themes and adding new features over the next couple of days, so bare with me. I’m expecting my web server to take a beating, so things may run a little slow until I get the board optimized. Please let me know if you are experiencing excessive slow downs.

Well I guess that’s it, please feel free to drop a suggestion in the suggestion box, this is your forum!

Above all, we want to here what you have to say!

Thanks,

Z.

(Chris)

JamesVan
2003-04-30, 05:26 AM
Nice looking site, Zoog! I'll inform my Revit groupies of the new forum.

- James :D

PeterJ
2003-04-30, 07:27 AM
Good work Chris.

Can we place attachments to this or just images?

How on earth did you find the time to get ahead with Linux - my anticipated server is just a big dumb box with fancy mirrored and redundant drives and fat RAID connection at the back doing nothing as I haven't found or made the time to sort out communications problems between it and the windows machines.

Pete

Steve_Stafford
2003-04-30, 11:06 AM
Well I guess we now know why you've been quiet on the "other" group. Thinking of a change in careers? This looks really sharp!

Wesley
2003-04-30, 12:07 PM
Well, I haven't had a good look around yet, but it sure looks impressive so far. Great job!
WB

Dean Camlin
2003-04-30, 12:15 PM
Good job, Chris! Like you, I was worried about alt.cad.revit too. And now this morning, I read posts from some who have lost their previous posts on revit.community.customer-files too. What's this world coming to :?:

Dean Camlin
2003-04-30, 12:29 PM
Hey, Z, is everybody on here a Total Newbie (except the Administrator) until they've posted a few times?

christopher.zoog51272
2003-04-30, 12:31 PM
Hey, Z, is everybody on here a Total Newbie (except the Administrator) until they've posted a few times?

Yep, you need at least 10 post to move up a rank, so get posting :D

Martin P
2003-04-30, 12:43 PM
Wow!! this is a Very cool message board, :shock: good work!just having a play with the fonts and stuff to see what happens.

christopher.zoog51272
2003-04-30, 12:46 PM
Good work Chris.

Can we place attachments to this or just images?

How on earth did you find the time to get ahead with Linux - my anticipated server is just a big dumb box with fancy mirrored and redundant drives and fat RAID connection at the back doing nothing as I haven't found or made the time to sort out communications problems between it and the windows machines.

Pete

Pete, I may allow for direct attachments in the future, right now I am still testing the server, etc. If it (and my bandwidth) holds up well, I will try to get direct attactments set-up.

I've been tinkering around with this box off on on for a few weeks, it was actually much easier than I expected. I'm running clarkconnect home 1.2, which is based on red hat. I use webmin to interface with it, so I don't need know too much commandline stuff.

Z.

christopher.zoog51272
2003-04-30, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. Hopefully this place will grow to be a great reasource for revit info!

If you have any requests, suggestions or question, be sure to let me know.

-Z 8)

Allen Lacy
2003-04-30, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the new space Zman. Looks like a designer had something to do with it.

chawkins1735
2003-04-30, 02:22 PM
Nice board! Hopefully, this WILL garner a following ... much better than following a newsgroup. Thanks for all the work!

chawk

Allen Lacy
2003-04-30, 07:44 PM
Cool, I've graduated to Revit User!! :wink:

Scott D Davis
2003-05-01, 12:40 AM
Zoog!

Very nice board! This is cool! 8) This looks VERY similar to the Tundrasolutions.com group that I subscribe to, and I was really hoping someone would put up a site like this for Revit! :D

Thank you!

Dean Camlin
2003-05-01, 11:53 AM
Hey, Scott, how'd you get to be "Forum Moderator"?

Yman
2003-05-01, 12:54 PM
OK, I will finally post something. I think we all are going to have fun with seeing how we climb up the "Zoog" ladder of what type of user we could become. I guess I'll be a total newbie now. Hey Zman, we need a post user type and then a Revit user type. Can you get on this right away? Just kidding Z. This is a great forum.

Thanks for all the work.

Y.

christopher.zoog51272
2003-05-01, 12:58 PM
OK, I will finally post something. I think we all are going to have fun with seeing how we climb up the "Zoog" ladder of what type of user we could become. I guess I'll be a total newbie now. Hey Zman, we need a post user type and then a Revit user type. Can you get on this right away? Just kidding Z. This is a great forum.

Thanks for all the work.

Y.

Sorry about that, newbie :wink:

Wesley
2003-05-01, 01:39 PM
:lol: Great sig file! :lol:

Scott D Davis
2003-05-01, 01:52 PM
Hey, Scott, how'd you get to be "Forum Moderator"?

I volunteered! (OMG, what was I thinking? :shock: ) J/K! I just asked Zoog if there was any way I could help out, and the next thing you know, I went from Newbie to Moderator!

C'mon, I dare anyone to post something controversial! :twisted: I'm waiting for the day that Anne posts something here.....

But in all seriousness, this entire forum is to remain "unmoderated" in the sense that I wont be deleting or editing anything unless it is just way over the top. What is really nice is that everyone has the ability to edit or delete their own posts. So if you want to take back something you said, you can do it!

adegnan
2003-05-02, 12:31 PM
Do I really need to be a newbie?? :wink: