PDA

View Full Version : Road Designer

canoeist
2009-04-23, 09:42 PM
I have the dubious task of bringing the OG surface of one project and attaching it to the OG surface in my base drawing. I don't think data shortcuts will work since there is overlap and I'd like one large surface in the base drawing. But I could be wrong.

I'd rather not import all the points, recreate the breaklines, and create a surface on almost a mile of existing urban street if I can help it. I'd rather meld the surfaces with an updated boundary and utilize it as one OG surface in my base drawing.

Can anyone help me? If this is impossible, I need to know that too.

Thanks,

LGD

sinc
2009-04-24, 01:34 AM
Paste the surfaces together. Best way may be to create a new (empty) surface, then paste your two surfaces into it.

canoeist
2009-04-24, 02:53 PM
Sinc,

Thank you but the surfaces are in two different drawings. Is there another way to use the copy/paste sequence in Civil 3D? I thought about using the Windows "Copy with Base Point" but did not know if it is a rigorous copy.

I'll try that on a copy of the project and see if it works while I wait for your reply.

Thanks again,

LGD

sinc
2009-04-24, 04:27 PM
Create data references to the surfaces in the other drawings in your working drawing, then in your working drawing, paste the two DREF'd surfaces together.

sinc
2009-04-24, 04:30 PM
...or you may only need to DREF one of the surfaces, depending on how you have things setup.

But with C3D, it often works best to keep EG surfaces off in their own drawing, and DREF them into whatever drawings you need them in. That works better than trying to create a giant drawing with too much stuff in it. For small projects, you don't need to worry about this much, but it helps a lot on the bigger ones.