PDA

View Full Version : Importing Surface Data from LDT to C3D

jackland
2009-05-22, 08:52 PM
I'm trying to bring data for a surface into a Civil 3D drawing from an LDT drawing. I've tried the Import Data from Land Desktop... command and I see the Surface on Prospector however there is not Definition data for the surface. I also tried to Export to LandXML from LDT and then Import LandXML... in Civil 3D and am getting the same result. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

brian.hailey933139
2009-05-24, 06:51 AM
First thing I would do is make sure the surface is really there. In LDT, create a blank drawing, attach it to the project, and recreate contours. If that works, I have no idea what is wrong.

jackland
2009-05-25, 03:37 PM
thanks for the reply...I tried your suggestion and it still didn't work.

brian.hailey933139
2009-05-25, 04:22 PM
So, no contours were created in the LDT drawing? If that's the case, then the problem lies with the surface and not Civil 3D.

jackland
2009-05-25, 08:07 PM
the terrain model in LDT is perfect...contours are created properly and everything...maybe its a settings thing...I'm going to keep looking for a solution...if you come across anything that would help please let me know...thanks

jackland
2009-05-25, 08:45 PM
I figured it all out...I was trying to bring data into a New Drawing but you need to have the drawing open in Civil 3D before you try to import things...or thats what I think at least.

sinc
2009-05-25, 09:38 PM
There are some things in C3D that don't work in a new drawing until you've saved the drawing somewhere first. So best thing to do whenever you create a new C3D drawing is save it, first thing, even if you haven't done anything. That guarantees that you won't run into these particular issues, and you can save what's left of your sanity for other battles. ;)

jackland
2009-05-26, 08:11 PM
So I thought I fixed the problem but really I didn't...Its actually quite random because sometimes the Import Data from Land Desktop command works and sometimes it doesn't...I will bring the Terrain name into the drawing but no data with it...But sometimes it works so I have no idea what the issue is...maybe its my computer? Memory? I really don't know so if any one does please feel free to assist me! Thanks

brian.hailey933139
2009-05-27, 02:55 AM
Can you zip up the surface folder under the DTM directory of your LDT project and post it up for us to look at?

Hammer.John.J
2009-06-17, 04:30 PM
well if you have all the points, just use the points from .mdb file or the .ASII text file if you have that and build a new one.

If you have faults and all that, I'd expect that you could create the surface and copy all the 3D lines into your C3D drawing and duplicate the surface.

there are many ways to work around that....