PDA

View Full Version : change of orientation does not have any effect

korwan
2009-07-01, 12:53 PM
hi,

i am facing cases when models seem to be no longer reacting to changes of orientation. neither gains / losses nor the temperature changes any more. e.g. a north oriented room is showing exactly the same amount of direct solar gain like a south oriented one.

this - i would call it bug - goes so far that it also affects every new file i try to create after having opended a "sick" model, leaving only one way out: restarting ecotect

nevertheless the "sick" file still does not react to changes even after restarting.

i came accross several people that were facing the same problems however none of them could actually provide me with a solution. I wonder if anyone here ever faced the same problem? my current ecotect version is 2009 but the bug already occured in 5.5

best

daniel

David Haynes
2009-07-20, 06:18 PM
Upload a model for people to test. It will help to understand if it is a bug, or something else.

korwan
2009-07-22, 01:09 PM
here you go.

1. check out the zone that is currently highlighted through the analysis grid.

2. assign a weather file and perform a gains/losses simulation for the mentioned zone.

3. change the orientation and perform the gains/losses simulation again.

as described in my first post the result is an identical graph....

David Haynes
2009-07-23, 03:05 AM
Korwan,

I was able to make the test change (both daylight factor and insolation analysis) by doing the following:

1. In the project tab, change the orientation (see attached).

If there is a specific analysis that is not working, please specify a bit more.

korwan
2009-07-25, 06:41 AM
david,

thanks for your quick reply.

i am familiar with the "change orientation" option in the project tab. however the analysis i was talking about was not daylight but thermal: perform a thermal analysis using the wizard and select gains/losses - then compare the direct solar gains for a north and south oriented zone "schuhschachtel": they match....

best

daniel

iam_47
2009-08-29, 01:34 AM
I think you should calculate the inter-zone adjacencies before simulation. In most cases, Ecotect can automatically detect the changes of model and calculating the adjacencies, but in cases like direction changing(there are some other cases,but very little), Ecotect can not find the model have changed since last calculation, so it use the last adjacencies data and not calculate.
I always manully carry out the inter-zone adjacencies calculation after changing anything in model.

David Haynes
2009-08-31, 06:57 PM
Great point about checking the inter-zone adjacencies.

korwan
2009-10-05, 01:20 PM
good point indeed. but since i'm aware that ecotect tends to behave capricious i already integrated a manual adjacency calculation to my workflow.

did anyone meanwhile take a look at the attached file?