PDA

View Full Version : Importing Points to a Surface

jdrewreed
2009-07-15, 01:28 PM
Hi all, I'm looking for some help with some points that I have. I was able to create a surface from a grading plan. Now that I have that, I want to import points from a text file. These have id,x,y only. I want them to take on the elevation of the surface at the point where they are overlain. Then, I need to be able to export these back to a text file, but this time with id,x,y,z.

These points are boring holes. I will use this text file to import into gINT to show the grade level on each boring. Thanks!

jdrewreed
2009-07-15, 04:19 PM
You import points with zero elevation into some point group.
Create your surface from your surface file
In Toolspace, go to Point Groups and select All Points or the point group you have created.
Make sure you have item view toggled on with the little icon at the top of Toolspace.
You should see a list of all points. Select all your points (I had to do 100 at a time since doing all of them crashed my computer) Right click them and select "elevations from surface". Your points now have the same elevation as the surface where they are located.

Exporting them was the same as importing the points. I had to add elevation to my Point File Format.

brian.hailey933139
2009-07-15, 04:47 PM
That's exactly the way I would have done it as well. Can't think of a better way off the top of my head.

Thanks for sharing the solution you found.