PDA

View Full Version : Materials and Subassemblies

jmoore.218473
2009-07-21, 03:52 PM
I’m trying to calculate the amount of Top soil that is needed on a project and not sure on how to go about this. In the Subassembly properties in the Parameters Tab under Value Name they have Material 1 Thickness, Material 2 Thickness, and Material 3 Thickness with the value in the next column. Futher down they have the Material Type. For some reason the defaults are Material 1 RipRap, Material 2 RipRap, and Material 3 Seeded Grass. I’m confused with the order of the materials. Is Material 1 on top and Material 3 on the bottom? Also what would be the best way to calculate the Material volumes? When I go to the Corridor properties, I don’t see a place to create a surface to calculate volume. Is this even something that C3D can calculate?

Thanks in advance for any input.

sinc
2009-07-21, 11:54 PM
You have to look at the subassembly help for each subassembly to figure out what each one does.

But usually, those three materials refer to the different slopes. Material 1 is from flat ground to your first slope limit, Material 2 is for slopes that are between your first and second limits, and Material 3 is for slopes steeper than your second limit. Or, depending on the subassembly, this might vary a bit.

It's so you can specify what sort of material needs to cover slopes with various gradients. Then those materials are applied automatically to the correct locations when you build your corridor.

When you start doing this, you use the Quantity Takeoff functionality to calculate your volumes, rather than create volume surfaces. You can still create surfaces from your corridor, and compare those surfaces and all of that to get overall numbers, but the material volumes are calculated as part of the Quantity Takeoff stuff. There's a big section on this in the Help, which is probably a good place to start.

jmoore.218473
2009-07-24, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look the help section. Still learning, but it's comming along.