PDA

View Full Version : Best method to creating shading devices in Revit 2010 for gbxml export???

Dupont
2009-08-07, 12:01 AM
We currently testing Revit 2010 and Ecotect 2010, I have been reading that the gbxml export is much better now. What is the best way to create shading services in Revit for export into gbxml? We would prefer not to have to use walls, floor slabs or roof objects to generate these surfaces. Has anyone used mullion or panel instead? Or shoud we just the model these shading devices Ecotect?

kyle.bernhardt
2009-08-19, 12:47 AM
We currently testing Revit 2010 and Ecotect 2010, I have been reading that the gbxml export is much better now. What is the best way to create shading services in Revit for export into gbxml? We would prefer not to have to use walls, floor slabs or roof objects to generate these surfaces. Has anyone used mullion or panel instead? Or shoud we just the model these shading devices Ecotect?

It depends on the type of Shading Devices you're looking to model, to be honest. The only Revit Elements that translate to gbXML as Shading Surfaces are:

Room Bounding Elements (Floors, Roofs, Walls, Ceilings, Curtain Walls)

Curtain Wall Mullions in Revit 2010 when exporting with the Complex Setting at "Complex with Mullions and Shading Surfaces".You might have to do some kinda hokey things to make those work from Revit, but most find the Revit modeling environment a bit easier than Ecotect. Although, Ecotect is capable of generating more complex shading surfaces.

gbXML only supports Planar Surfaces, so it's non-trivial to allow export of other modeled families for Shading Surfaces. Not to say we might not do it down the road (this isn't the first time I've heard if this need), but it's not possible today.

Cheers,
Kyle B

jon.gardzelewski.217169
2009-09-22, 10:42 PM
The benefit of using ecotect over other analysis programs here is that Ecotect allows you to import geometry as well. As long as you haven't rotated your coordinates you can export your gbxml and then export a dxf of simple shading objects (other than walls, slabs, mullions), and these come together easily in Ecotect.
http://greenbimnetwork.blogspot.com/2009/05/gbxml-2010.html