PDA

View Full Version : Large Revit models into Ecotect

dfi
2009-08-12, 08:23 AM
I have a large revit model that I am trying to import into Ecotect. As a .dxf works great I can use the section box in 3D views to export a portion of the model to use for analysis. The only bug is that I need to make sure all the rooms are enclosed. This just means I need to export a little more of the geometry than I need.

If I am exporting as a .gbXML the section box does not limit the amount of information exported, so I have a huge amount of information that needs to be imported into Ecotect which can be difficult to manipulate. I have thought of breaking up the Revit model for importing into Ecotect, but am trying to avoid it since this is not the best for my workflow.

Does anyone else have experience working with large .gbXML files from Revit in Ecotect?

kyle.bernhardt
2009-08-19, 12:41 AM
gbXML is your best bet, although you can't currently limit the output to a particular region of the model.

You can always delete unwanted Thermal Zones in Ecotect once you import the gbXML file, but the result will be a much better representation of the Revit Model than DXF.

Cheers,
Kyle B

leonlhl
2009-09-03, 03:51 PM
Good place to learn things.

jon.gardzelewski.217169
2009-09-22, 05:19 AM
With heavy models you can set up an “energy model” and just link in the big file. Then just place rooms where you want them and then export only that gbxml. If you have problems with room bounding objects they can set the entire link to ‘non room bounding’ and copy monitor in just the elements that they need. You can't place rooms until you have levels so copy monitor those in as well.

For the rest of the building/site, just make a quick massing model and export that in a 3d view. It all comes together in Ecotect (with a small amount of cleanup), and from there you can also export to IES or Green Building Studio with a thermal zone and the rest as shading (bring at least an entire plate and set the roofs and floor to adiabatic).

Just a general note, floor-plates or models with many internal rooms often have export errors that may not be worth your time trying to solve. If your intent is schematic energy analysis, just leave most of the internal partitions as non-room bounding and make sure that you get the shell and usually also the cores. If your building is skin load dominates then you can approximate building performance with an accurate shell, if it's internal load dominated then you need to be accurate about the conditioned floor area -- and if the majority of space types are similar (like office, meeting room, break-out space) you can probably get away with lumping these all together as a "generic office" type. If spaces are drastically different, for example a kitchen vs a bedroom, then you would take the extra effort to define these areas accurately.

sgore.265813
2010-10-14, 03:53 PM
With heavy models you can set up an “energy model” and just link in the big file. Then just place rooms where you want them and then export only that gbxml. If you have problems with room bounding objects they can set the entire link to ‘non room bounding’ and copy monitor in just the elements that they need. You can't place rooms until you have levels so copy monitor those in as well..

When you place new rooms in the "energy model" are you constructing the ext wall/interior partition geometry or are you simply using room separation lines. Secondly, are you then assigning materials in the Ecotect model?Finally, how are you assuming the exterior load on the building, are you simplifying the exterior wall? How should one account for curtain walls/fenestraton, etc...