PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout and Polygonal Viewports

mjohnson.60622
2004-11-11, 03:19 AM
I am going nuts. I created wipeouts in a drawing(s) to be xrefed. In the parent drawing the wipeouts act properly and plot properly from modelspace. However the wipeout does not act properly when plotted in the existing Layouts. I read read all of the "wipeout" threads and tried those suggestions. After no success, I tried creating a "new" Layout in the parent dwg and the wipeout acted properly when plotted. But then I VPCLIP'd the "standard" viewport created in the Layout the wipeout fails. Will the wipeout not work when plotted through a polygonal viewport. (FYI ACAD2002 with LDDT3)

ANY ideas?

Mike.Perry
2004-11-11, 09:09 AM
Hi

Worked here for me just now when tested -

Xref file (Child) contained Wipeout Object.

Master file contained Xref file (Child) & a Floating Polygonal Viewport.

Plotted to a few different output devices - HP LaserJet 5000N / MINOLTA Di351 / HP DesignJet 750C / Oce 9400 / Oce TCS400.

All above output devices produced correct results.

Have you tried Plotting to different output devices?

Look at trying to tie the issue / problem down to one of the following (the below are really only shown as examples) -

A Plot Device Setting
An AutoCAD setting
A Drawing file setting
Have a good one, Mike

mjohnson.60622
2004-11-11, 01:35 PM
Mike,

It doesn't seem to be tied to the parent/child relationship. I created layouts in the child file, which has the wipeouts, and it acted the same way. Standard viewport in layout handles the wipeout correctly, but a vpclipped viewport doesn't. I don't think it would be a printer setting, as it works in the first situation. I read in an old thread where someone claimed the "hideplot" setting for the viewport needed to be set in a certain way, but that has no affect. Are there any particular settings that you would suggest looking at? Also, I am using a Heidi Driver with Merge Option (set to Overwrite) plotted to a HP5000Gn (have also plotted to Pdf (Bluebeam). I will try another device though.

Mike.Perry
2004-11-11, 02:01 PM
Hi

Can you please post an example drawing file that doesn't work for you; we can then all sing from the same hymn sheet so to speak.

Have a good one, Mike

mjohnson.60622
2004-11-11, 03:14 PM
I think I got this attached correctly.

Mike.Perry
2004-11-11, 07:28 PM
Hi

Ok! I get the same results as yourself with the drawing file you posted....

Had a bit of a play with the drawing file, I couldn't get the Wipeout's to be honoured in the "Vpclipped Viewport" Layout.

I WBlocked out all the Modelspace Objects except for the 4 Wipeout Objects - "MikePerry_12th East Tower Floor.dwg" (have attached for you reference).

Opened "MikePerry_12th East Tower Floor.dwg" -> Placed 4 new Wipeout Objects -> Created 3 new Layouts "Viewport" "Viewport VPClip" & "Viewport Polygonal" ->

Plot "Viewport" Layout without a problem.

Plot "Viewport VPClip" & "Viewport Polygonal" Layouts and experience the same problem in both - 3 of the Wipeout Objects are ok! The problem 1 is the one that the Polygonal Viewport crosses.

I can edit the Polygonal Viewport (change it's shape) so it crosses one of the other Wipeout Objects instead - Plots without a problem.

Therefore it could possibly be a number of things causing the problem, do you want to spend the time and effort trying to find the reason (I more than happy to help) ?

As possible alternative methods (instead of using Wipeout Objects) -

The old 3D Face / Region trick.

Solid Hatch using Colour 255

Have a good one, Mike

mjohnson.60622
2004-11-11, 11:24 PM
Mike,

Thanks. Normally I am curious and would be interested in pursuing the cause. I was "told" by Autodesk that it was a "known" bug and was fixed in the Autocad2004 edition and there wasn't a patch for 2002. They had some workarounds that involved erasing some things or working with the draw order. They claim that it should work in the current version. We just upgraded our licenses (software at the central office) and I should be getting (by special request) a cd tommorrow am. Do you think that it will work properly in ACAD2005?
Thanks again.

Mark

Mike.Perry
2004-11-11, 11:40 PM
Hi

Pass.

I've got AutoCAD 2005 at home but no printer, so I can't plot a test output for you (sorry).

As you know I could do a Plot Preview from within AutoCAD 2005 but that won't tell us anything as the Plot Preview looked fine when I tested at work using AutoCAD 2002.

Maybe someone else could do the honours and confirm one-way or the other with regards AutoCAD 2005.

Have a good one, Mike

mjohnson.60622
2004-11-12, 09:34 PM
FYI,

Ditto in LDDT5 (ACAD2005). Called Autodesk Safety Net, They got the same results. They eventually referred to "Development" and said they would get back. Its a really great function that would save me worlds of time, but it seems extremely glitchy.