PDA

View Full Version : Revit Implementation - Getting Started

TerribleTim
2009-09-29, 06:47 PM
Ok, let's see if we can get a good conversation going that might help me as I take the first steps down this path. We are looking at implementing Revit soon.

* What have you guys learned that I might avoid?
* What is the best way to break up projects? Why do you prefer that method?
* How did you handle your current stuff, like title blocks, door & window tags and so on? Recreate from scratch or use existing cad file geometry?
* How are you handling details? Importing cad geometry or drafting view on top of Revit file data?
* How do you work with your consultants? How are you splitting the project up and so on?
* What are you doing with consultants who are still using flat cad?
* Any of you guys using Revit in a "concept design" type deal? What can you get out of it in the context of a sketchy, loose, sort of "Sketchup" type drawing? Or should we just use Sketchup for that? How do you tackle it?

Thanks gang. I know it's a lot. I've done a ton of research and continue to do more but I'd like to get some input from those doing it, not those selling it. It gives me a better "feel" for the industry in general. :cool:

m20roxxers
2009-10-06, 11:29 AM
Tim

Nice questions guess you should've asked "How do I do everything??" :D

The real questions you need to post out here are.
What projects are you doing? Why are you choosing to move to Revit? Speed, more information, Some reseller rocked up and said this is the way of the future and if you don't get on board you never will? Government projects?

All cad objects should be recreated or taken from the standard Revit options and modified. Using CAD data is not advisable.

Details? Well again it depends on the Level you are going to and why? Can you get away with stanrd drafting views you can convert for your existing standards? Do you provide any fabrication drawings? again No CAD Details.

Working with Consultants, again what is your purpose for working with these people, what data do you want from them what do they want from you? 2D drawings can work as they always have, again picture the vision of why you and your firm want to create this data, speed is different from more information versus facitilities management. Workflows have to be modified in order to correctly address these issues.

Sketchup Revit? whatever floats your boat if your looking for 2 second sketchup models either way you will probably have to burn the model and start again. My advice is set it up properly and spend a little more time on concepts that way it saves you the time required to recreate something from scratch.

I know I haven't addressed any issues, but you need to think about how, when why your team how excited are they their experience if any and future progression before you address the basics. Stop thinking CAD start thinking digital buildings and CD's are a bi-product. That is building Information Modelling Management.