PDA

View Full Version : Small Business Network Advice

elipman
2009-10-08, 05:05 PM
My company has three offices across the United States. We have engineering and project level drafting occurring in three distinct locations.

We've had a bit of trouble over the last year coordinating our file synchronization for project level CAD files from local drafter computers to central servers.

We've grown a lot and changed a bunch, and looking to set things up to support our growth going forward.

We had local servers in the three offices that were Sync'd via DFS, but when we downsized (with the economy tanking) and sold off a division of our company, we lost two of the three servers. So now we have one server in one location, slow access for the other two offices.

Options I see to improve local server access for project file storage / collaboration:
Going back to DFS and buying more servers
Using some sort of new amazing Cloud based storage service (possibly sync'd to local systems in each office). Seems like everything moving to the cloud is the "hip thing to do," and I certainly see the benefits, but I'm not sure how well it works for CAD environments.

When I saw the network forum, I just felt like posting a hail marry, and see if their are some clear best practices I could learn from rather than try to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks in advance,
-Ethan