PDA

View Full Version : How to Model Complex Relays in Utility Industry?

jweaver
2009-11-03, 07:32 PM
Hello All! I work for an electric distribution company and we are in the process of switching to ACAD Electrical.

I could use some guidance from you good folks about now. Something that I have been struggling with is how to model the IED relays we use. (Intelligent Electronic Device) From our perspective they are control relays, but rather than having one coil and so many NO and NC contacts, we have numerous current and potential sensing coils plus digital inputs and output contacts. Oh, and alarm contacts. All associated with one device.

How should something like that be handled? I’m leaning towards it being more like a PLC than a control relay. But we really glossed over the PLC stuff in our training since we didn’t think we’d need it. (Big mistake.)

What would be your suggested way of dealing with a complex device like that? I started off making the power supply the parent object (there is always just one) and created child symbols for the inputs and outputs, and have thoughts for doing the sensing coils, but all in all, I have a fear I’m heading down a bad path.

Does this seem reasonable or am I missing something? Would these be more like a PLC? They are programmable. My grasp of Electrical is just enough to be dangerous.

My fear is that there is something inherent in the program that I am going to break (or at least confuse) by not having NO & NC contacts for a "Control Relay". I mean, the output contacts can be operated remotely, so the parent "coil" doesn't really have any direct effect on that contact.

Can you good people point me to anyone that is doing this sort of thing and/or is using ACAD Electrical in the electric utility field?

Thanks!