PDA

View Full Version : [2009] Erratic duct tag behavior (OPEN)

shd.haynes
2009-11-06, 04:59 PM
This may have already been corrected in 2010, please let me know if it has.

I find it extremely disturbing that when I draw a duct and then tag it with a duct size tag, whether free or attached end, after I re-size, shift or split that duct, the size tag is for some unfathomable reason shifted WAY off from where it was placed. This becomes quite a serious issue, perhaps even an issues of legal liability, when in a large and complex job I have erroneous duct size tags randomly appearing over ducts to which the DO NOT belong. For example, I have seen many times a 10"ø duct tag, that has been shifted in the above manner, sitting on top of a 14"ø duct. Even worse is when it is a 10 x 10 tag sitting on a 10 x 6 duct, where it is not so obvious that it is out of place.

This is an unacceptable bug that needs to be fixed.

Thanks.

Steve

mjdanowski
2009-11-06, 05:01 PM
There is similar behavior with wire tags as well.

Joe Fields
2009-11-17, 08:56 PM
Yes! There is nothing like printing a submittal and suddenly noticing a duct size tag floating off in space that you missed. The really bad ones are when it lands on top of another tag or appears to be pointing at a different duct which could cause some major issues. There could be some nasty legal issues that are happening because of this bug. Totally unacceptable!

Jrobker
2009-12-08, 01:09 AM
I agree 100%. Figure it out and get rid of it.

moliva
2010-02-11, 05:58 PM
I saw this topic when it when posted but didn't have a clue as to how much a pain in the a$$ this would be. I've got a few sq. feet of duct modifications to do so it looks as though I'll be playing duct tag whack-a-mole for the next few days.

I haven't yet figured out the specific scenario for when this actually occurs so it's always a surprise when it does happen. I'll just remember next time to draw all my duct 100% perfect the first time and not allow any changes from the architect past 65% submittals.

jason.martin
2010-02-12, 09:32 PM
I haven't yet figured out the specific scenario for when this actually occurs so it's always a surprise when it does happen.

When you figure this part out please contact support immediately.

jason

mjdanowski
2010-02-12, 10:51 PM
It is when you have a leaderless "floating" tag on a duct or wire, and then you move that wire. Many times it will also move if you save, probably a byproduct of the regeneration process.

Additionally, if a device was attached to a wall, and that wall moves in the architectural model. and the recept followed it. Any tag on the wire will plop itself on top of the termination between the wire and the device.

moliva
2010-02-15, 11:52 PM
I made modifications to a significant amount of ductwork on this particular floor and ended up w/ about 6-7 duct tags flying off. See the photo for an example. The tag literally jumped 100' to the east and is now sitting over top of another duct tag on another duct. I still can never tell when this is likely to happen. Leaderless tags for sure but have had it on both.

Splitting the duct seems to be the worst tho. Understandably. If you split the duct, it doesn't matter much where along the duct the tag was placed it seems to refer to maybe where that lenth of duct started but the tag does not move. See photos 2-5. Tagged ducts w/ original sizes...ducts split...upper section changed to 12" and 8" respectively and tags remains the same...Bottom section changed to 14" and 12", tag reflects new size regardless of which section they appear over. This happens w/ both leaderless and leadered tags free or attached end, the leader for attached end tags will move to the split when size changed but attached end tags look pathetic (for ductwork anyway).

a bit of a nuisance yeah, but a problem for sure because you can't really tell just by looking at the tag that there's something wrong. It would be better to just delete the tags rather than working the way they do.