PDA

View Full Version : Waterfront Home

rdaynard
2009-11-09, 02:30 PM
It's been a while since I've last posted so I thought I'd share some recent work. Everything was modeled and rendered in ACA '09.

dzatto
2009-11-09, 04:18 PM
It's been a while since I've last posted so I thought I'd share some recent work. Everything was modeled and rendered in ACA '09.
Looks good.
What settings did you use to render it? How do you get your white trim to be so white?? Mine always looks grey.

rdaynard
2009-11-09, 05:26 PM
I'm pretty sure all I did was use the presentation default settings with FG turned on for this one. I'd have to look into what the exact settings were. As for the trim, it's just the standard white paint material that comes with ACA.

Andy.88917
2009-11-09, 07:36 PM
I am curious to what settings you are using and if they are the same or similar to mine.

Are your lighting units set to 2?

What are your sun properties (sun and sky settings)?

Are you using RPC for landscape?

Is everything ACA or are you doing any post work (photoshop, etc)?

rdaynard
2009-11-09, 09:41 PM
I am curious to what settings you are using and if they are the same or similar to mine.

Are your lighting units set to 2?

What are your sun properties (sun and sky settings)?

Are you using RPC for landscape?

Is everything ACA or are you doing any post work (photoshop, etc)?

For the settings, please see my comments to dzatto. My lighting units are usually set to 1 or 2. As far as I know it shouldn't matter, as long as it isn't set to 0. The landscaping is made up of images with opacity maps and nothing was done post render. Hope this helps.

H-Angus
2009-11-10, 02:04 PM
Looks good, particularly like some of the detailing, such as where the shingles flare out over the cornice above the ground floor windows and the little triangles of roof on the gables where the fascias return. The landscaping and water/beach look cool too.

One part that I'm not too keen on is the roof. The junction with the fascia all looks a bit too clean, maybe it's just because there isn't a gutter shown I'm not sure. Also the ridge and hip joints are very clean without any ridge/hip tiles (unless they're abutted shingles).

And finally :) how do you get into that turret? Is it just a higher ceiling or a mezzanine floor with its own stair within the turret or something? I might be tempted to increase the pitch but other than that it looks good.

H-Angus
2009-11-10, 02:11 PM
Oh also, on the first render, the roof canopy over the three ground floor sash windows (to the right of the garage doors) may have a rogue material assigned to it, unless it's intended to be different of course.

rdaynard
2009-11-10, 02:47 PM
Looks good, particularly like some of the detailing, such as where the shingles flare out over the cornice above the ground floor windows and the little triangles of roof on the gables where the fascias return. The landscaping and water/beach look cool too.

One part that I'm not too keen on is the roof. The junction with the fascia all looks a bit too clean, maybe it's just because there isn't a gutter shown I'm not sure. Also the ridge and hip joints are very clean without any ridge/hip tiles (unless they're abutted shingles).

And finally :) how do you get into that turret? Is it just a higher ceiling or a mezzanine floor with its own stair within the turret or something? I might be tempted to increase the pitch but other than that it looks good.
Thanks for the comments! The gutters and ridge vents are details that I didn't really have time to add. I agree that it looks a little too "clean". The turret was originally designed to be a breakfast room on the first floor and a sitting room with a vaulted ceiling for the master suite on the second floor. However, I've been playing around with some other ideas for it, including a second floor game room with a wooded spiral staircase (think luxury yacht) to an observation room. The roof for the box window (to the right of the garage) is copper. If you notice, I've also used copper for the copula and the eyebrow window above the front entry.

H-Angus
2009-11-10, 03:02 PM
Aaah okay that makes sense, I didn't notice the other copper bits.

I like the sound of the observation turret, especially if there are nice views across a lake or out to sea. I suggested raising the pitch to add some extra headroom if their was a mezzanine but looking at it again you probably already have enough.

I'd forgotten you guys have different names for floor levels than what we do over in the UK.
UK Ground Floor = US First Floor
UK First Floor = US Second Floor
UK Second Floor = US Third Floor
etc ......................

rdaynard
2009-11-10, 06:28 PM
Aaah okay that makes sense, I didn't notice the other copper bits.

I like the sound of the observation turret, especially if there are nice views across a lake or out to sea. I suggested raising the pitch to add some extra headroom if their was a mezzanine but looking at it again you probably already have enough.

I'd forgotten you guys have different names for floor levels than what we do over in the UK.
UK Ground Floor = US First Floor
UK First Floor = US Second Floor
UK Second Floor = US Third Floor
etc ......................
I never knew there was a difference in naming floors. Thanks for the education! For the turret, if I went the observation room route, I'd make the walls a bit higher to allow for the head room. I don't want to change the pitch because I'm trying to give it somewhat of a lighthouse look (without the widow's walk of course)