PDA

View Full Version : W.I.P. Christmas Card

christopher.zoog51272
2004-11-24, 05:03 PM
A quickie rendering for our Christmas card, still a work in progress. Boss is making me do this before I leave for AU. He also wants some people in there, but I don't where to get winter peeps (any suggestions?), plus i don't think it will look good.

It also needs more snow, but I don't know if I'll have time for that :(

Modeled in Revit, Exported to Viz 2005 with the beta plug-in, rendered with Vray, then edited in Photoshop.

thommenbodo
2004-11-24, 05:05 PM
Nice! How did you do the snow?

Steve_Stafford
2004-11-24, 05:08 PM
LaRon doesn't need a coat...he's tough!

Funny, right on the heels of the Winter thread...good example of snow on the roofs Z. But it confirms (to me anyway) that a little bit of snow begs for more in all the subtle places to make it really believable. A new tool in Revit 8.0, the "powder snow duster". Use it to dust on elements like bushes and such.

sbrown
2004-11-24, 05:26 PM
snow is a material that comes with accurender. It looks like he made some extrusions or topo surfaces on his roof and grass and assigned this material.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-11-24, 05:38 PM
snow is a material that comes with accurender. It looks like he made some extrusions or topo surfaces on his roof and grass and assigned this material.
actually, the snow is a viz material with a vray displacement modifier applied to the revit roof and floors.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-11-24, 05:39 PM
LaRon doesn't need a coat...he's tough!
LOL! .....

PeterJ
2004-11-24, 06:26 PM
I think I may still have that parametric snow man that was modelled in 4.1 or something way back if you want it.

David Conant
2004-11-24, 06:40 PM
Of course, Chris has simplified the problem by modeling a feeble 2" Philadelphia snowfall. For a real challange, think about a Buffalo/Syracuse/Vermont winter scene with 24" - 30" (600 - 800mm) on the ground, 6' (2m) icecicles dripping from the eaves, grey piles left by the snowplows, and a car half buried in the driveway.:lol:

Steve_Stafford
2004-11-24, 06:50 PM
Of course, Chris has simplified the problem by modeling a feeble 2" Philadelphia snowfall. For a real challange, think about a Buffalo/Syracuse/Vermont winter scene with 24" - 30" (600 - 800mm) on the ground, 6' (2m) icecicles dripping from the eaves, grey piles left by the snowplows, and a car half buried in the driveway.:lol:Exactly!! and...why I'm in Sunny SoCal now!! :-D For the locals it is chilly here now...but for me...I'm warm!!

Allen Lacy
2004-11-24, 06:59 PM
Of course, Chris has simplified the problem by modeling a feeble 2" Philadelphia snowfall. For a real challange, think about a Buffalo/Syracuse/Vermont winter scene with 24" - 30" (600 - 800mm) on the ground, 6' (2m) icecicles dripping from the eaves, grey piles left by the snowplows, and a car half buried in the driveway.:lol:
How about a parametric snow family that alters depth according to location Sun & Shadows Settings!?

Kroke
2004-11-24, 08:19 PM
Hey Zoog, lose the 4x4 and put a sleigh in there, that'd be sweet, and a few deer, then you don't have to worry about winter ppl. Add some snow to the walk and roadway that isn't under the covered area, but only like 1/3 as much and sorta translucent so it looks like a very light snow, as if it were shoveled off previously or something.

PS, how'd you do the hanging holly w/ lights? Is that the photochopped part?

Looks sweet as usual bro

christopher.zoog51272
2004-11-24, 10:25 PM
Update.... "painted" more snow in.... that as much as I'm doing before AU.... I'm outta here..... have a great turkey day!!!

edinkum
2004-12-10, 06:35 PM
Z, how do you like the Plug-in beta for VIZ? I have experimented a little myself, but have mixed results. Sometimes the materials from Revit come in exactly as designed, but sometimes the scale factor on the maps is off so much all I see is the averaged color of the map. Have you come across this or any other problems?

christopher.zoog51272
2004-12-10, 07:09 PM
Z, how do you like the Plug-in beta for VIZ? I have experimented a little myself, but have mixed results. Sometimes the materials from Revit come in exactly as designed, but sometimes the scale factor on the maps is off so much all I see is the averaged color of the map. Have you come across this or any other problems?
I've been pretty happy with the beta overall, some of the issues you described should be fixed in the final release. Personally, I edit every material in VIZ, and convert them to Vray materials. The big time saver for me is that everything has the right material assigned, changing them is the easy part!

BTW, here is a card update.

-Z

Steve_Stafford
2004-12-10, 07:31 PM
I see a leaking window in your future...;)