PDA

View Full Version : How do you create new RPC Families

max
2004-11-24, 08:08 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can find info on how to create RPC Families from RPC content?

Thanks

beegee
2004-11-24, 09:33 PM
How to Create your own RPC Objects. (http://www.accustudio.com/forum/tutorials/rpc-create.htm)

SkiSouth
2004-11-25, 02:42 AM
If you want a new family, copy one of the RPC families included with Revit (under Entourage) Rename it to whatever you wish, and modify the "holding" model to reflect a tree, flower, car, etc. Under the family types of the family, open it up and delete the unwanted types, and create new types, pointing them to the RPC file of choice. Save the family, and now you have a new RPC family,

If you want to create your own RPC content, see Beegee's note.

I think I used "type" to reference three different meanings in two sentences. Sounds confusing. Hopefully you can decipher what was meant..

max
2005-03-16, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the info, but I have been out of pocket for a while. I tried to make the RPC families as suggested but I guess I am too dense. Can anyone shed a little more light on the procedure?

Thanks

max
2005-03-31, 05:49 PM
I asked this question in the rendering forum and got the following reply:

If you want a new family, copy one of the RPC families included with Revit (under Entourage) Rename it to whatever you wish, and modify the "holding" model to reflect a tree, flower, car, etc. Under the family types of the family, open it up and delete the unwanted types, and create new types, pointing them to the RPC file of choice. Save the family, and now you have a new RPC family,

I tried this and could not get it to work. I must be missing something? I asked for additional info but got no response, so I am trying in this forum. Someone please spell it out for me.

Thanks

sbrown
2005-03-31, 07:01 PM
Open the rpc family>click the family type button> At the bottom its says rpc name, click there and browse to your rpc file. Thats it. See attached.

hand471037
2005-03-31, 07:24 PM
I tried this and could not get it to work. I must be missing something? I asked for additional info but got no response, so I am trying in this forum. Someone please spell it out for me.

It might not be working for you also have to add a path to the RPC's within your Rendering Preferences. However, even that didn't fix it for us, so we just put all our RPC's in the same location as the default ones that come with Revit (i.e. RPCPeople within the Rendering folder) and then they seem to work fine.

Apparently, just setting the path within the family doesn't always work, at least not for us. We'll get the RPC's not rendering, or rendering but not in color :/

max
2005-03-31, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the help but I still can't get it. Here is what I am doing:

I open up an RPC family. I click on family types. I click on new and type new name. I click on RPC Filename at bottom and set the path to the file. I then click on RPC properties and browse to the file again. Then apply and okay but nothing changes. Is there something else to do?
Thanks

beegee
2005-03-31, 09:53 PM
Nothing changes in the shaded view ? - did you redo the symbolic representation from the original ?

Nothing changes in the rendered view ? - are you loading the new type you made or still loading one of the other types that may be in the family?

max
2005-03-31, 10:11 PM
I guess I must be really dense. I don't understand what you mean when you asked me did I redo the symbolic representation from the original. After I made the changes described in my previous post i saved the new family and re loaded it. But it was still the same as the old family___ nothing had changed.

Thanks

beegee
2005-03-31, 10:23 PM
Say you open the RPC file for M_RPC Male.

You wish to use this file as the "base" to display an Aeron Chair.

You open the Family Types dialogue - the first type listed is "Alex", you rename this type to "Aeron Chair" and then you delete the other types in the file - " Dwane " and " La Ron" because you don't need them.

You then proceed to point the RPC Properties and RPC filename to the correct Aeron Chair RPC File.

You are still left with the "symbolic" representation of a Male RPC, that shows in all views prior to rendering. You delete this and model a 3D representation of the chair.

You rename the file to "Aeron Chair" and save it with your other RPC files.

sbrown
2005-03-31, 10:25 PM
YOu do understand you only actually see the RPC when you render the view??? The symbol lines are just there as a guide for placing the rpc.

max
2005-04-04, 07:03 PM
Thanks all. I finally got it.