PDA

View Full Version : New BIM software

KGC
2010-01-13, 03:30 PM
I heard about a German Company that has developed a BIM CAD program, that has now been programed in English. I forgot the name though :face palm:

Anyone know what im talking about?

pauljordan
2010-01-13, 05:30 PM
Could it be BoCAD??

http://www.bocad.de/

I took a quick look at it and didn't see anything about BIM but, someone can dig deeper and find out more I'm sure.

ckc.mike
2010-01-27, 03:07 PM
I think you are talking about Allplan from Nemetschek. I had a look at that, very different approach compare to REVIT in terms of handle data. I cannot commend this is better than REVIT, but in my opinion this will need a lot of documented implementation in accord to make this efficient. However, I like this application is multi-disciplines all-in-one, it could use as architectural, structural and civil engineering. I think that is a step ahead of REVIT.

RobertB
2010-01-28, 09:46 PM
... However, I like this application is multi-disciplines all-in-one, it could use as architectural, structural and civil engineering. I think that is a step ahead of REVIT.How can that be without MEP support?!

Steve_Stafford
2010-02-03, 04:23 AM
That and it is hardly a new product since it predates Revit.

ckidd
2010-02-03, 05:21 PM
How can that be without MEP support?!

What MEP support? Watching the power and capabilities of Revit is awe-inspiring and makes any AEC designer want to do more work in less time, with a better result.
Using Revit MEP is the worst part of my job. I know I have a lack of experience, but after taking a class, spending weeks pouring over tutorials and the like, I can't draw a single pipe where it needs to be in over a week.
I understand why Architects are using Revit for their projects, but insisting on Revit MEP coordination is too much. Can we get a product that's been developed for another 10 years before we're forced into this?

Moreover, MEP designers are searching far and wide for a suitable substitute for Revit. I was Autodesk Fanboy #1 for most of my life, then I tried Revit MEP. Now I wish the Germans would have a program that I could use.

cporter.207875
2010-02-03, 05:55 PM
What MEP support? Watching the power and capabilities of Revit is awe-inspiring and makes any AEC designer want to do more work in less time, with a better result.
Using Revit MEP is the worst part of my job. I know I have a lack of experience, but after taking a class, spending weeks pouring over tutorials and the like, I can't draw a single pipe where it needs to be in over a week.
I understand why Architects are using Revit for their projects, but insisting on Revit MEP coordination is too much. Can we get a product that's been developed for another 10 years before we're forced into this?

Moreover, MEP designers are searching far and wide for a suitable substitute for Revit. I was Autodesk Fanboy #1 for most of my life, then I tried Revit MEP. Now I wish the Germans would have a program that I could use.

Keep practicing. We've been using Revit MEP since it was called Systems. I've been steering the BIM program for about a year. Finally, we're producing drawings about as fast as we used to do in ACAD. And it's BIM... I know its hard to believe, but with enough time, money and intelligence invested into the effort, much is possible. We even do plumbing now. Only been doing it for a couple months, but it is much easier and faster once you get the hang of it. We're getting some nice drawings out of it.

So keep practicing, ask questions, and look for ways to be inventive.

<Edit> BTW, sorry, but I have no idea what the OP is talking about.

ckidd
2010-02-03, 06:29 PM
with enough time, money and intelligence invested into the effort, much is possible.

That's what makes all of these other problems with the software relavent. My company is 9 Employees. Only 6 use CAD. I don't think we have the resources to switch to Revit MEP. I feel like I would need 80 hours or more in a classroom just to use this program with any degree of efficiency, let alone the high degree of proficiency that already produces deliverables for our clients in 2D. It is very difficult to use buttons and several toolbars that give me no drawing space, since I was taught on ACAD R12 to use the command line. I'm looking for tips and reviewing the (laughable) wish list, and I'll likely start a thread before the day is over to plead for help.

Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate your optimism. I'm wondering if it was a good idea to start working with Revit and quit smoking at the same time. :(

cporter.207875
2010-02-03, 07:46 PM
I'm wondering if it was a good idea to start working with Revit and quit smoking at the same time. :(

LOL, Good luck with that.

cjehly
2010-02-20, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate your optimism. I'm wondering if it was a good idea to start working with Revit and quit smoking at the same time. :(

haha, best line of the month!