PDA

View Full Version : How to implement BIM ?

tomcarver
2010-01-19, 05:39 PM
Hello All,
I am a draftsman for an architectural millwork company. Recently, one of our contracts required us to participate in the BIM process with other sub-contractors.
I have a basic idea what BIM is and what it is used for. What I'm not quite sure of is the timing of drawing the models. Is the concept to model the whole project, compile with the drawings of other trades and then as real construction proceeds, use the digital model to resolve conflicts, errors and omissions?

Thanks for any help.
Tom Goodman
Bailey, NC

RobertB
2010-01-28, 09:40 PM
This is a rather broad topic, but I'll try to address a bit of it.

The BIM can be rather simple and basic all the way to horribly complicated and bloated. The amount of data and detail in the BIM is dependent on the owner's requirements for the BIM and the reality check of just how much data can be effectively added with current hardware and software.

I can foresee pretty big issues for you since you are in millwork. I doubt that you will be able to model the amount of detail you might think. You could model lengths and shape envelopes, but you will likely need to fall back to details for the, well, details. :wink:

Really, your questions are questons that should have been answered in the BIM kick-off meeting and subsequent follow-ups. If you cannot get the answers from the design team or the GC's BIM team, this project is probably doomed due to unrealistic expectations.

tomcarver
2010-01-28, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'll ask more questions when I know more about what is required. I'm trying to get the 2d shop drawings out now.

Tom

cjehly
2010-02-13, 04:46 AM
Basically, you're doing what most people do, and go with what they know to get the job done, and then worry about producing a model.

The next step up will be to model "something" and then do what you normally do on the side, but they'll be concurrent at least.

The LAST step, and the one that most people stumble on, is that you will model it correctly first, and then use that information to drive all of your down-line activities at a profitable clip to boot...

*edit* - I realized I didn't give you anything but a lecture. my apologies.

I would start with re-creating your 2d blocks with 3d blocks with the same insertion point. You could then write a script to replace all of your 2d blocks with your new 3d blocks (or just do it manually a few times), and you'd have a real good starting point....

jj mac
2010-03-12, 05:30 AM
Just to clarify, do you mean run a script to change 2D CAD blocks into 3D Revit Families?

cjehly
2010-04-06, 01:12 AM
No, I was referring to using your standard CAD package, not a switch to Revit. While getting your models into Revit would probably be beneficial, it isn't the only route into BIM in the least.

None of my models are native to Revit, as an example.

sweichel
2010-04-06, 01:34 PM
Recently, one of our contracts required us to participate in the BIM process with other sub-contractors.

This is where I always find the rub. People who have little or no idea how much additional work is required to utilize BIM for a coordination process deciding about what you are going to do and how much time you get to do it in. It doesn't matter what it really takes to do something properly its all about get it done in the name of "they wrote it into your contract"

What I'm not quite sure of is the timing of drawing the models. Is the concept to model the whole project, compile with the drawings of other trades and then as real construction proceeds, use the digital model to resolve conflicts, errors and omissions?

I'm sure different projects and trades are different but in my opinion the process should be to model the project 6 months before installation or rather it doesn't matter when you start so long as all conflicts are resolved at least 2 months before real construction begins. I think it would vary but for me I would say 6 months. That would be a great process. All I ever see is finshing it or half-assing it as it goes out the door in the name of using a process that is frankly becoming a hinderance. Wow I sound cranky today. Actually I like the idea of BIM I just wish the proper amount of time was provided.

tomcarver
2010-04-12, 11:07 AM
Amen to allowing the proper amount of time. Thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming! This information is very helpful.

Tom in NC