PDA

View Full Version : Missing mms file

jaldridge
2010-01-21, 12:46 PM
Update 2.1 was supposed to fix this issue, but myself and another designer in my company have each had a project recently sent to us that each time the file was opened we would get the missing mms file dialog box, which became annoying. We have all the latest updates for 2009 and 2010 but are still getting the dialog box upon opening these particular files. (These two projects will remain in 09 version until they are completed.)

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/02/autocad-civil-3d-2009-update-21-available-for-download.html

I am not sure if anyone else here is dealing with an annoying project file like this, but I found a crazy work around if anyone else needs a quick fix to remove the annoyance. This is what I sent out to our users yesterday and perhaps there is a better fix, but this helped me. In both instances the surfaces were no longer important to the project and could be deleted. So this solution is only to get rid of the annoyance of the broken reference error dialog box and not an attempt to restore the missing surface mms file. Before doing this I searched the web and this site and found very little discussion about it so I looked for my own solution.

1.The solution is to search the project server for a *.mms file. You will probably get a list of those files. Pick one
2.Make a copy of one of those files and place it in the project DWG directory where the problem CAD file exists.
3.Look at the white dialog box when the CAD file is opening and notice the name of the file it is seeking.
4.Rename the mms file that you copied into the directory to match the name of the missing file.
5.Close the CAD file.
6.Reopen the CAD file and the dialog box should no longer be there.
7.Go to the Toolspace Dialog and look for the surface that it created or the surface it was initially looking for.
8.Once you find it in the Toolspace surface list you will be able to right click on the surface and delete it.
9.From that point on you should not have an issue with the dialog box. You will have to repeat the process if there are multiple dialog boxes that appear upon opening.

I am not sure why the service pack was not controlling the issue in these two cases, but it is one of those things you find a quick fix and move on.

redgis
2015-01-23, 05:55 PM
After an hour of trial and error I stumbled across the same resolution you did. Unfortunately AFTER I figured it out I found your page; but it worked out that I didn't have to type it all out and send it to the rest of my co-workers. Thanks for doing the dirty work.

lmthunzi677936
2017-01-21, 10:36 AM
Update 2.1 was supposed to fix this issue, but myself and another designer in my company have each had a project recently sent to us that each time the file was opened we would get the missing mms file dialog box, which became annoying. We have all the latest updates for 2009 and 2010 but are still getting the dialog box upon opening these particular files. (These two projects will remain in 09 version until they are completed.)

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/02/autocad-civil-3d-2009-update-21-available-for-download.html

I am not sure if anyone else here is dealing with an annoying project file like this, but I found a crazy work around if anyone else needs a quick fix to remove the annoyance. This is what I sent out to our users yesterday and perhaps there is a better fix, but this helped me. In both instances the surfaces were no longer important to the project and could be deleted. So this solution is only to get rid of the annoyance of the broken reference error dialog box and not an attempt to restore the missing surface mms file. Before doing this I searched the web and this site and found very little discussion about it so I looked for my own solution.

1.The solution is to search the project server for a *.mms file. You will probably get a list of those files. Pick one
2.Make a copy of one of those files and place it in the project DWG directory where the problem CAD file exists.
3.Look at the white dialog box when the CAD file is opening and notice the name of the file it is seeking.
4.Rename the mms file that you copied into the directory to match the name of the missing file.
5.Close the CAD file.
6.Reopen the CAD file and the dialog box should no longer be there.
7.Go to the Toolspace Dialog and look for the surface that it created or the surface it was initially looking for.
8.Once you find it in the Toolspace surface list you will be able to right click on the surface and delete it.
9.From that point on you should not have an issue with the dialog box. You will have to repeat the process if there are multiple dialog boxes that appear upon opening.

I am not sure why the service pack was not controlling the issue in these two cases, but it is one of those things you find a quick fix and move on.

THIS WORKS 100%

- - - Updated - - -

This method worked for me 100%

ST1991
2021-08-11, 09:52 PM
Hi,

I have the same issue of surface missing mms file in two drawings. I no longer want the surface in the drawing and would like to delete it as it is annoying to have the error each time I open the drawing.
I was able to resolve the error by following the above listed method in one of the drawings. However, in the other drawing even after placing the correct mms file in the drawing folder, the surface does not show up in the prospector for me to be able to delete the surface. There are section views which show the sampled surface but have no data reference to it. Can anyone please help me in removing the surface from the drawing.
Details: Using 2019 Civil 3D & the surface was created using data shortcuts.

Thanks in advance!