PDA

View Full Version : Seismic Code not avialable..

smm.144
2010-02-02, 07:20 AM
Do you have any idea for the countries whose codes (seismic) are not available in RSA what one can do?
Is there any way some how manually enter a coefficient to calculate base shear and earthquake lateral load from building weight?
Or is there any api function for this?
Is it possible to create a seismic code or add new seismic codes to RSA?
Where can I find total building weight and location of Rigidity and mass Center of each story?

pawelp
2010-02-03, 04:31 PM
You may want to define your own Spectrum, to perform spectral analysis.
In addition, leverage results for stories, (accessible via Add view-> Tables data -> Stories)

smm.144
2010-02-03, 06:13 PM
You may want to define your own Spectrum, to perform spectral analysis.
In addition, leverage results for stories, (accessible via Add view-> Tables data -> Stories)

Thanks Pap,
I need to have Robot Calculate Base Shear and I should define a coefficient (C) to calculate base shear from total wight:
V = CW

Does anybody has any idea?

medo
2010-03-24, 07:57 AM
Thanks Pap,
I need to have Robot Calculate Base Shear and I should define a coefficient (C) to calculate base shear from total wight:
V = CW

Does anybody has any idea?

I needed the same and I've done it by following:
- First I calculate dynamic properties of the model and extract the total weight from the table.
- Then I calculate the total shear force V by hand and obtain a certain value.
- After that I perform spectral analysis with 'simple' linear spectrum, let's say the axes are acceleration-period and acceleration is 1.0.
- In the Reactions table I read the total reaction force in each direction (X, Y) from combination CQC (or SRSS) and compare it with hand calculated value.
- If the calculated reaction force is less than the hand calculated value, than I increase the acceleration in the spectrum and calculate the model again .

In this case you are certain that you have applied the total base shear force in your model.

You can also check Pseudo-static forces. In ARSA equivalent lateral forces related to seismic analysis are called „pseudo-static forces”. You can find it in Results/Advanced/Pseudostatic forces.

smm.144
2010-04-14, 11:43 AM
I needed the same and I've done it by following:
- First I calculate dynamic properties of the model and extract the total weight from the table.
- Then I calculate the total shear force V by hand and obtain a certain value.
- After that I perform spectral analysis with 'simple' linear spectrum, let's say the axes are acceleration-period and acceleration is 1.0.
- In the Reactions table I read the total reaction force in each direction (X, Y) from combination CQC (or SRSS) and compare it with hand calculated value.
- If the calculated reaction force is less than the hand calculated value, than I increase the acceleration in the spectrum and calculate the model again .

In this case you are certain that you have applied the total base shear force in your model.

You can also check Pseudo-static forces. In ARSA equivalent lateral forces related to seismic analysis are called „pseudo-static forces”. You can find it in Results/Advanced/Pseudostatic forces.

Well, that's a bit complicated, don't you think it is easier to add static seismic forces manually? Will robot give me correct result if I add static seismic forces manually?

medo
2010-04-14, 03:10 PM
It is not that complicated as it looks like. You can add seismic forces as static manually, but then you need to calculated them by hand and distribute them according to building height as story forces and then distribute story forces on nodes for each story.