PDA

View Full Version : Best practices for drawing 4x4 stilts

Brian Mitchell
2010-02-03, 12:10 AM
I am learning Revit by going over the tutorials along with the CadClips videos and I figured I would start my first experiment project with something easy like designing a child’s play house.

I want to elevate it 6" off the ground by using 4x4s in the corners but I don't know how to draw a 4x4 in Revit. I have a footing level which is -3’ from level 1 and is where I want to start the 4x4. For drawing the 4x4 it looks like I have 2 choices:

1. Create a floor type that has a thickness of 42” (the 3 feet buried plus 6” above ground) and draw it 4”x4”.

2. Create a wall that has a top constraint of level 1 plus 6”. Is there a preferred method for drawing stilts?

Thanks!!

truevis
2010-02-03, 02:22 PM
...I want to elevate it 6" off the ground by using 4x4s in the corners but I don't know how to draw a 4x4 in Revit. I have a footing level which is -3’ from level 1 and is where I want to start the 4x4...
You'll want to use Columns for your stilts. Structural Column is correct, but you can also use Architectural Column.

Brian Mitchell
2010-02-03, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the reply, that is exactly what I needed.

I found a wood timber column under the imperial families and made a type for a 4 x 4. I haven't gotten to columns yet in my videos and I didn't even notice the element in the ribbon bar.

The family loaded as an architectural type so I used it as that.

Thanks again!