PDA

View Full Version : Pasting Aligned to the Same View

Archman
2003-09-22, 10:40 PM
I discovered this and thought it was useful. Some of you more advanced users probably know about it.

You may have noticed that if you want to paste aligned to the same view that you copied an element from then the "current view" item under Edit | Paste Aligned is greyed out. You can get around this by clicking Edit | Paste Aligned | Select by Name and select the same level you copied from.

This has proved useful for our team because from time to time when saving to central we get an "invalid sketch" error, and rather that trying to chase down the violation it is easier to just cut and paste the object back into place.

Hope all is well Revitting. :D

Martin P
2003-09-23, 01:07 PM
never even noticed that was there bfore! Excellent - saves skipping back & fore between views, good tip :D

Vincent Valentijn
2003-09-24, 09:12 AM
hihi.. great tip! I bet most advanced users -don't- know about it? Revit keeps on amazing me with it's disfunctional ways.. you can't paste aligned.. but then again.. you can?? :? lost me there..
but the tip is hot as pepper :wink:

dzambaz1763
2003-09-27, 09:24 PM
just out of a curiosity - can you give me one example when you need copy/paste aligned in the same view?

ajayholland
2003-09-28, 06:04 PM
In addition to the "invalid sketch" error, sometimes I just want to break up a floor slab into two or more segments, either for demolition or variation in structure/materials.

In these cases you can repeatedly past the same element back in its place, and modify the sketch to create each segment of the original.

(Wishlist: A split floor/roof tool similar to the split topo surface tool.)

-AJH

Wes Macaulay
2003-09-29, 12:28 AM
I've had to do this with other objects - most notably stairs. Some of my clients have some curved stairs that can get a bit cranky, and if we have to break them into separate objects, the copy-paste a copy-edit sketches of both trick is a great way to work.