PDA

View Full Version : Center Lines in Beam Family - when beam is cut

JH75
2010-03-09, 12:51 PM
Hi,
We usually show the centroids of our rafter in section ie the centre lines (see attached image). I have tried to add these to a beam family but not with much success.
If I add symbolic lines for Left/Right Reference plane they only show up when beam is horizontal which make sense as symbolic lines has to be perpendicular to the view plane.
The only way I can think of to get this to work is to add Model Lines to Member Left AND Right Reference Planes and make sure the visibility is set to Left/Right. This will make sure that the lines show up in the elevations etc.
I can then also add the symbolic Lines as above to be able to see them when I cut a beam that is perp. to the view plane.
At the moment I use a detail component that I go though and to all my beams in my views – which takes for ever.........
J

Silleke
2010-04-05, 04:31 PM
At the moment I use a detail component that I go though and to all my beams in my views – which takes for ever.........
J

What do you mean by this? Are you superimposing a detail component on your model?
You can control the center line visibility when the steel section is cut.

JH75
2010-04-05, 10:02 PM
Hi,
Yes we add the detail component with the centre lines to all beams that are cut. The detail componet only contains the 2 lines and we can adjust it to suit the member width & hight.
How can I control the visibility of the member centre line?

Thanks
J

Silleke
2010-04-06, 11:09 AM
Hi,
How can I control the visibility of the member centre line?
J

You draw the center lines using Detail>Symbolic Line in Left Elevation while choosing work plane reference plane: Center (Left/Right). Afterwards, select the lines you just drew and under the Instance Properties>Identity Data>Subcategory, choose “Structural Framing [cut]”. Finally select under Graphics Visibility/Graphics Overrides>Edit>, you open the option “Family element visibility settings”, set “Show only if instance is cut” to ON (tick mark).

I hope that my advice helps you. You can now get rid of your 2D component lines.

Cheers,

JH75
2010-04-06, 10:13 PM
I have tried that but it will not work if the beam/rafter is on a rake/sloping as symbolic lines only show up when they are perpendicular to the view plane.

Cheers,
J

Silleke
2010-04-07, 10:24 AM
I have tried that but it will not work if the beam/rafter is on a rake/sloping as symbolic lines only show up when they are perpendicular to the view plane.J

I guess you must use a Grid.