PDA

View Full Version : .ASC File

jenniferchavez
2010-03-11, 04:09 PM
I have asked this question before. but Im very confused.... I have a Lidar file. I really need to learn how to import and use as a surface.

Can you please help. If you are willing to look at this file, please email me. this program will not let me attach that type of file.

jen@gilsonengineering.com

sinc
2010-03-11, 05:38 PM
Take a look at the data. It's probably either comma-delimited or tab-delimited.

Once you figure out what format it's in, you can rename the file to have a .CSV or .TXT extension, then use a standard Point File Format.

If you have Lidar data, you probably do not want to import the point file. Instead, create a surface, and add the Point File to the surface definition.

jenniferchavez
2010-03-15, 05:00 PM
When I rename it, it give me an error

Error parsing value in line 1:
value: ncols 1000 etc....

I have attached the first part of it.

rkmcswain
2010-03-15, 05:36 PM
That looks like an ESRI Grid file.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESRI_GRID

EDIT: It looks like you can add this to a surface in C3D by creating a surface, then going under "Definition", "DEM Files", then when you go to select a DEM file, ESRI GRD is one of the choices.

jenniferchavez
2010-04-26, 06:53 PM
I have been messing with this to long, here is the deal... There is a website AGRC, it is the "Utah GIS Portal". I down load a .asc file. I am using Civil3D 2011, I right click on Point coulds and select the ESRI ASC for my sorce data style. Everything seems to work until I try to look at it in 3d. What am I doing wrong? Am I just viewing it wrong or what???? Help!

justrhys
2013-02-13, 11:42 PM
I just renamed my ASCII file to .pts and revit created the .pcg for me.