PDA

View Full Version : Updating Template

krlee_399
2010-03-16, 02:27 PM
Hi All,

I've made some modifications to my steel template....do all drawings created previously update themselves as per the template or do I have to go through a command in order to do this...at my first attempt the drawings did'nt appear to change

ps the changes are to do with weld symbols and texting

Thanks in advance

Kris

kathy71046
2010-03-17, 04:41 AM
Your model template is whatever you started with, changing the template will not reflect on any existing projects in any way.

Your settings will need to be done again in any existing projects.

You can use the ASD Centre tab of the project browser to bring in dimension styles and layout templates, or the acad design centre for acad objects like text styles.

Unfortunately I don't think that descriptor or table styles can be transferred, and descriptors is what the welds fall under.

You can change a titleblock template, and that will update if you update the sheet (ie adding extra codes to the titleblock)

If you haven't created printouts, I would just copy the objects to the new file, otherwise it depends on how much you needed to tweak the automatic drawings as to whether it's faster to respecify the existing or recreate on the new template.

krlee_399
2010-03-17, 08:43 AM
Thanks Katika,

I thought that might be the case, I suppose I should have had my template 100% correct before I started detailing....lesson learnt

kathy71046
2010-03-17, 11:52 PM
Getting the template 100% before starting is a good idea in theory....

I'm in the process of setting up the template for a 3rd company since starting, and I am still tweaking bits here and there.

One day I will actually get to a project where I no longer need to change something on the inital template.

krlee_399
2010-03-18, 10:30 AM
Hi katika,

The same applies here too, sometimes I like to change templates on particular jobs but not all, or an engineer might want something changing for good, and when an existing project is needing updating thats where the problem occurs......one thing I must slam asd for is the way I still have to go into each and every block to centralise text to the steel and not the steel/text/dims....but I suppose theres not alot to moan about really as the program is very very good

Regards

kathy71046
2010-03-19, 01:54 AM
Unless the block has a glitch, you should probably be going to the edition layout (using the position tab of the object inspector) on the view and changing it there, not in the block.

The program can be very touchy when you do something the programmers did not expect (I am probably the bane of their office for bombarding them with issues). It can be very easy to completely break the file by not using say, the correct part of the object inspector to navigate rather than some other (usually easier) method.

That said, I have had times where it insisted on puting a solid line in the block where there shouldn't be one, and had to edit the block to fix it.

Of course if you need to update that view for any reason, you lose both methods of alteration anyway.