PDA

View Full Version : Need help creating formwork family

mferrell.242762
2010-03-23, 04:01 PM
I hope I am posting this in the right place, but here it goes anyways

I am trying to create a formwork family in Revit for one of the simpler formwork systems my company uses in the field. It is composed of a post, beam, and joist. The beams comes in predesignated sizes as do the joists, the posts have an adjustable top jack and an extension that can be added on.

The component I want to model first would be the post which is a minimum of 7' and a maximum of 14' 2" with the 2'8 extension.

Ideally I would want to be able to place the post as a column within my model and have it show the extension when necessary as well as the height of the adjustable jack.

My understanding of family creation is fairly basic at this point (though I did manage the beams/joists). If someone could provide a step by step as to how to create the initial family it would be greatly appreciated.

Craig_L
2010-03-23, 10:59 PM
I have a fairly basic knowledge of family creation, but I believe what you want to research into is "Nested families" as the family you are wanting to create contains several variables relating to different objects.

These type of families are up there on the more advanced scale of family creation.

Hope this sends your search in the right direction..

Cheers
K10

mferrell.242762
2010-03-25, 03:40 PM
Thanks K10,

I have found a couple of resources on nested families though nothing to terribly in depth yet but I will keep on searching.

Silleke
2010-04-09, 10:45 AM
Just a few tips:
Limit the use of detailed, nested, parameterized families to necessities.
Where possible avoid arrays and formulas.

If you want info in depth, see the Model Performance Technical Note of Autodesk.

HTH,