PDA

View Full Version : AISC Shape Sizes

david_peterson
2004-12-06, 07:23 PM
I'm finding lots of missing steel shapes in the Structural Member Catalog.
It would be nice to have a current Structural Member Catalog that reflected the current selection of available Steel Shapes. Having to draw a steel shape is not what I would call a good use of time.

chris.yanchar
2004-12-08, 02:24 AM
I'm finding lots of missing steel shapes in the Structural Member Catalog.
It would be nice to have a current Structural Member Catalog that reflected the current selection of available Steel Shapes. Having to draw a steel shape is not what I would call a good use of time.

Can you provide some specifics of what is missing? This should include the common world standards including AISC.

Thanks -

david_peterson
2004-12-08, 04:19 PM
W21x55 comes to mind.
W21x48 is another one.
I know I've come across others that are not included.
For a current listing of common steel shapes see "Manual of steel construction, Load and resistance factor design, 3rd addition"
I believe AISC also has a spread sheet that you could use to cross reference for missing shapes.

BCrouse
2004-12-08, 06:04 PM
Yeah, it would be nice to have the Structural Member Catalog updated with the current all shapes and materials.

May be there could be an update of the Structural Member Catalog given separately year to year. It could be used to update the existing Structural Member Catalog for the version that you are using. It could be started with ADT2005.

Thank you,

Brad

david_peterson
2004-12-08, 10:41 PM
While they are not AISC shapes, they are used in much the same way. (maybe this would be a separate wish) It would be nice to include Bar Joist in the structural member catalog. I know they exist and you can use the tools out of the tool catalog, but it would be nice to be able to drop in all of your member sizes for the project at the same time.

As it is now you have to bring in every size of beam/column you need from the Structural Member Catalog. Then you have to go and get the tool to draw each separate size joist in your building. It'd be nice to do it in one shot.

It would also be nice to have both the K-series and the LH-series of joists. It's a real pain to have to go in and modify each style and create a new style. Then you have to update the block for each end of the joists; just to change from a 2 1/2" seat to a 5" seat.

We tend to use the WF beams instead of Joist Girders just to help reduce depth and provide a stronger lateral frame. It gets really nasty when you have both K-series and LH-series.