PDA

View Full Version : mouse pointer always "busy"

gleiper
2010-03-30, 08:31 PM
Working in C3D 2010, using Windows 7-64 bit, and my mouse pointer is often "busy". (Often being hours and hours at time). By "busy", I mean the pretty little windows circle(formerly the hour glass) is always displayed as the mouse icon. I can still work in the drawing, but it is very irritating to always have to look at the thing.

When I restart C3D my normal mouse settings resume. But after I get working for a while, my friend, the hour glass circle, will not go away (even when the program is not busy). I've learned to deal with it but only because I cannot affort to constantly be reloading C3D.

Any comments or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Gavin

rkmcswain
2010-03-30, 09:46 PM
I have noticed this also.
Same setup I think.... Win 7, 64-bit, C3D 2010 (in 32 bit mode of course).

...but no solution. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, but it's annoying because it take more than a mouse jiggle to get the real cursor back....

tyronek
2010-04-16, 06:24 PM
I've been having this problem lately too. Again Win 7 x64.

It seems to have something to do with the AutoCAD profile. I've noticed that I can switch to another profile and then right back to my original profile and the problem goes away. Sometimes it comes back during the same session and sometimes it doesn't. I've been able to replicate this on a couple different Win7 x64 machines using the same problematic profile.

Edit: I joined over 2 years ago and this is my first post? Wow.

rkmcswain
2010-04-16, 06:27 PM
It also seems like AutoCAD (and maybe other apps in W7x64..?) are not too paitient either. I get the hourglass and a lot of "Not Responding" messages, when there is a small network glitch or something else causing a 1 or 2 second delay.... It does not do this on XP.

tyronek
2010-04-17, 12:36 AM
OK, tell me this isn't stupid.

My busy cursor was being caused by using the font 'Consolas' for the command line. I switched it back to 'Courier New' and it has completely disappeared. Looks like I'll have to put up with that ugly font for the time being.

Edit: Looks like I spoke too soon. It doesn't cure the problem but it makes it much less frequent.

gleiper
2010-05-06, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the feed back...seems like this is a 64 bit issue. My co-worker is running 32-bit and does not have this problem. I'm guessing it has to do with lack of memory. Mine shows busy all the time doesn't matter if I'm working with profiles or what my command line text is set at.

sinc
2010-05-06, 07:58 PM
I'm using Vista x64 and Win7 x64, and I have problems with busy cursors appearing more often than they should, but my cursor doesn't stay a busy cursor.

Maybe it is also dependent at least to some extent on the graphics card...? (I'm using GeForce 9600GT on Vista x64, and GeForce 9800GT on Win7 x64.)

tyronek
2010-05-07, 05:23 AM
Well I don't think it's a memory issue. My workstation has 12GB of RAM and I will sometimes see the busy cursor with only C3D open and working with a small-medium sized drawing. I have one drawing with a fairly small corridor (~400m) and if I rebuild it about 3-4 times I will get the perma-busy cursor almost guaranteed. There are actually only a handful of drawings that will produce the problem -- but there isn't too much in common between them other than being drawings with C3D objects.

My problematic workstation has a Quadro FX 580. I'm not sure it has too much in common with Sinc's cards other than both being Nvidia. But who knows.

It also sounds like Sinc's problem is may be a bit different, although possibly related to gleiper's and mine. Once my cursor turns busy I'm stuck with it until I either toggle the profile or shut down the program.

gleiper
2010-05-07, 02:58 PM
Maybe this is a 64-bit problem? Like I said before, my co-worker is running 32-bit and doesn't have this problem at all. Wierd.

Coolmo
2010-05-21, 06:38 PM
At least you guys are just getting the hour glass. I run Civil 3D 2007 in Windows XP mode from windows 7 (laptop) and the last cursor, no matter what it is, is always sitting on top and riding with my crosshairs. If something was busy I get the hour glass, If the pointer was the last one used in a menu or dialog box, the pointer rides with the crosshairs. You get the idea.

rkmcswain
2010-07-27, 04:11 PM
Has anyone found out anything else on this?

It is very annoying now that I'm using Win7x64 full time.
It's especially noticeable when hovering the cursor over the SSM palette - which can be solved by turning off the preview option of the palette, so I suppose the generation of the preview is doing it in this case, but it's not like I need the hourglass to let me know something is going on in the background...

I'm beginning to think overall, it's something in Win7x64....

WScottAllenPE
2010-07-28, 11:30 AM
My coworker was having the same problem on his machine, but this was C3D 2010 on 32 bit. For him, he thinks it was a video driver problem, which he managed to solve.

"3dconfig". Click the "Check for updates" button. This takes you to the Autodesk website, where he clicked the blue download button to download an updated video driver.

If it is mostly 64 bit, it could be a problem with the driver not playing nice. Hope this helps.

Scott

rkmcswain
2010-07-28, 03:22 PM
Another instance where it is "always busy" is when you pop down the layer dropdown in the layer toolbar.
It just changes to busy and stays there, making the selection of a layer and/or the manipulation of a layer challenging. (Yes, I know the answer from Autodesk will be "why are you still using the layer toolbar?", to which my answer will be "So I don't have to click the home tab first")

jmeyer.186809
2010-08-05, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the feed back...seems like this is a 64 bit issue. My co-worker is running 32-bit and does not have this problem. I'm guessing it has to do with lack of memory. Mine shows busy all the time doesn't matter if I'm working with profiles or what my command line text is set at.

I'm running win7 64bit and I haven't ever had this problem just for reference.

adamcrain
2010-09-09, 06:10 PM
I get the busybusybusybusybusy cursor too. It goes away when I select "Master View" in the Toolspace - prospector.

Civil 3D 2011 x64
Windows 7 x64

gthree
2010-09-10, 02:37 PM
My starts after the spell command. I can restart autocad and the problem goes away until I Spell check. Another computer in the office the problem starts with the first command every time. "IT" will not deal with it because autocad is still works and therefor not a problem. AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Machine Configuration
---------------------
Processor Speed : 2.4 GHz
RAM : 8125 MB

3D Device
---------
Name : NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
Manufacturer : NVIDIA
Chip set : Quadro FX 4500
Memory : 512.0 MB
Driver : 6.14.0011.7813

Your machine contains a 3D Device that is not certified.

sinc
2010-09-10, 03:43 PM
Another instance where it is "always busy" is when you pop down the layer dropdown in the layer toolbar.
It just changes to busy and stays there, making the selection of a layer and/or the manipulation of a layer challenging. (Yes, I know the answer from Autodesk will be "why are you still using the layer toolbar?", to which my answer will be "So I don't have to click the home tab first")

I still use the Layer toolbar, too. It's far more convenient - the Ribbon is not the be-all-end-all of user interfaces, as much as Autodesk may like to think so.

But I don't seem to have the problem with the "busy cursor" you have... I see an inappropriate busy cursor every once in a while, but it's pretty rare.

I suspect it might be one of those problems where the source depends on who you ask. Ask Autodesk, and it's a graphics driver thing. Ask nVidia, and it's a Windows thing. Ask Microsoft, and it's an Autocad issue. And around and around we go... :mrgreen:

gthree
2010-09-10, 08:00 PM
I just upgraded the driver but still get the busy pointer after spell-check.

Machine Configuration
---------------------
Processor Speed : 2.4 GHz
RAM : 8125 MB

3D Device
---------
Name : NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
Manufacturer : NVIDIA
Chip set : Quadro FX 4500
Memory : 512.0 MB
Driver : 6.14.0012.5912

Your machine contains a certified 3D Device with a driver version that is certified.

DBill2508
2011-09-13, 05:40 PM
I am getting the constantly flickering "hourglass" on top of my cursor as well. However if I turn off my prospector tab it goes away. I have updated to service pack 2, updated video drivers, ran the performance tuner, any other suggestions?

Now how do i get used to not using my prospector tab??

Running Civil 3D 2011, 32-bit XP.

Update: Switching my prospector tab to master view does eliminate my problem. I can even switch back to active view and it does not "flicker".