PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to shp files with different coordinate systems

templedesignllc
2010-04-19, 05:53 PM
I'm trying to bring 4 different shape files into my map, and they are all coming into different places. I have tried assigning a coordinate system to the map, then bringing them in. I've tried editing their coordinate systems after connecting to them. Nothing seems to work. One of the files gives me an error message "Some features failed to transform to the target coordinate system" I get this message every time I connect to that particular shape file, but none of the others. I tried something I saw in another thread about deleting the .sbx and .sbn files, and that didn't work either. Although I think that shape file might be corrupt, I still don't understand what I'm doing wrong with the others.

Jmurphy
2010-04-19, 08:27 PM
Do you have the prj files for each shp file? Are the files in different folders and have different names?

templedesignllc
2010-04-20, 04:25 PM
Yes, I have the prj files for each shp file and each shp file has a different name and is in a different folder. I did finally get two of the shp files to come into the map in the same place and they line up nicely with each other. I downloaded them from the FL Geographic Data Library. The other two files, one of which is giving me the error message, are also coming into the map in the same location, but it's far, far away from the others. When I check their coordinate systems, they all show the same coordinate system.