PDA

View Full Version : Possible Bug in the Batch Plot Utility

Aquaserpent
2004-12-08, 08:29 PM
I think I have found a bug and or some sort of layer manager connection to the Batch Plot utility. I started a batch plot file and saved it when done, I then realized that I had a lay turned off. I went in and turned it on, and replotted when I plotted out the new plot I found that the items on the layer that was originally off did not plot. I went into the drawing again and again the layer was off. I then started a new plot file from scratch, (after verifying that the layer was turned on) and saved over the original file. I ran the batch plot again and plotted out the troublesome page and the items were not plotted again, I checked the drawing and again the layer was turned off. I have found 2 files that are written by the batch plot utility and they are as follows:

BPERROR.LOG
BPJOURNL.LOG

Neither of these 2 files has anything to do with the layers that are plotted. Does anyone know what my problem is?

mjfarrell
2004-12-08, 08:48 PM
Is it possible that you did not hit that wonderful new APPLY button
after turning the layer on?

Is it possible that your VISRETAIN setting is off in that file?

Aquaserpent
2004-12-09, 12:17 PM
Is it possible that you did not hit that wonderful new APPLY button
after turning the layer on?
Im using 2004 and in the Layer Properties Manager their are only OK, CANCEL, and HELP buttons at the bottom of the box.

Is it possible that your VISRETAIN setting is off in that file?
VERSETAIN is set to 1, so that it saves changes to xreffed layers.

I have noticed that the original color for the layer is also changing back during the Batch Plot process.

So in summation after I change the visibility and color of a layer and save those changes, the Batch Plot utility seems to change them back to the original configuration. Please note I have checked the layer states after closing and reopening, and everything is fine until after Batch Plot.

One more item to consider, I deleted the original bp3 file and rewrote it. Changed the layer to the desired configuration, recovered the drawing, then did an audit, checked the layer configuration again, and then plotted the new bp3 file. The layer configuration changed back to it's original configuration during the plot process.

mjfarrell
2004-12-09, 01:42 PM
Fred

Thanks for the update.
I think this is either an order of operation issue
or there is something up with your CTB that you are plotting
with.

Delete the bp3 file, change the layer properties, and then
recreate the bp3 file. Perhaps even give it a NEW and different name
in the process, and as you ad the drawing to the list ensure
that the paths/file locations are correct.

Also I wonder if you delete that bp3 file, open the problem drawing and modify
as needed, plot it using the same CTB as specified in Publish
and see if it plots as desired. If yes save it and then rebuild your
batch plot list.

Aquaserpent
2004-12-09, 02:48 PM
I think I have the answer!

I went to the original drawing (a consultant product) changed all the entities from the offending layer to a new layer, I then purged out the old layer from the consultant drawing. Reopened the consultant drawing and the layer was still gone, I then opened my drawing and reinserted the consultant drawing into mine. I then tried to purge the offending layer and it was unavailable for purging, I then did a filter on that layer and found that NOTHING EXISTS on that layer. So I drew a line on the layer and then did a delete layer from Express Tools, and the entire drawing disappeared. This indicates to me that the consultant drawing is not a true AutoCAD drawing but a Microstation product and that there is something on that layer that is not a true entity in AutoCAD. This entity is controlling the layer properties, so this may not be a batch plot bug but a conversion bug.

However I now have all entities on a new layer and can leave that layer as is and go on.

mjfarrell
2004-12-09, 03:15 PM
Happy to have a look at that original dgn file for you Fred.

Mike.Perry
2004-12-09, 05:59 PM
This indicates to me that the consultant drawing is not a true AutoCAD drawing but a Microstation product and that there is something on that layer that is not a true entity in AutoCAD. Hi

To confirm this take a look at setting system variable DWGCHECK = 1

Refer to the Online Help File [F1] for more information on this system variable.

Have a good one, Mike

Ms. Serene
2004-12-16, 07:12 PM
I had something similar to that happen.
It was caused apparently by ADT and that I needed a newer object enabler. The funny thing was that I wasn't getting any error messages.