PDA

View Full Version : Linework: Graphic Overrides

Chad Smith
2003-09-24, 10:36 PM
I would like to see something along the lines of Graphic Override for linework.
This would enable you to go into the properties for a line and you could click an override button, then set the line weight, colour and pattern, but the line would still remain on its original line style.
This means you wouldn't have to have different line styles

e.g. LINEWORK - SOLID, LINEWORK - HIDDEN etc.

beegee
2003-09-24, 10:45 PM
You can already do this. Create your own new linestyles with the lineweight, colour and pattern you want and give them unique names. Then use the linework tool to overide any linework to be the new line style.

Chad Smith
2003-09-24, 11:00 PM
I tried that, and it didn't work.
I draw either a model or drafting line and then run the linework command, but don't have the option to select the line.
I can happily select a line in an object, say a wall or door, but not 2D lines.

Scott Hopkins
2003-09-24, 11:22 PM
Chad,

I think I know what you are trying to do. You want for example to be able to use the linework tool to switch some of your property lines into red lines, but you don’t want to create a new line type of red property lines. I am not sure if this would be such a great feature to have. If this were so I can imagine using the linework tool to switch thin lines into wide lines, hidden lines into solid lines. Before you know it your drawing would be an AutoCAD style jumbled mess. I would suggest making the extra line type and then simply use the match tool to switch your line types around.

I could see however expanding the linework tool to be able to permanently change a thin line into a wide line for example. This might be a quicker way than the match tool to switch linework around.

Chad Smith
2003-09-25, 12:38 AM
You want for example to be able to use the linework tool to switch some of your property lines into red lines, but you don’t want to create a new line type of red property lines.
That's exactly right.

I am not sure if this would be such a great feature to have. If this were so I can imagine using the linework tool to switch thin lines into wide lines, hidden lines into solid lines. Before you know it your drawing would be an AutoCAD style jumbled mess.
I would have to disagree with this. As you probably know, in AutoCAD you tend to draw with layers and have a line's colour and linetype set 'ByLayer'.
But there are always situations where you need to override a property. This would effectively be the same situation with Line Styles and linework. This only gets messy when you draw with the colour and linetype set per line not 'ByLayer', this is how most newbies to AutoCAD draw.

funkman
2003-09-25, 12:44 AM
also on this topic - can Revit automatically show elevations such that lines closer to you are wider (darker) and those further away are thinner (lighter). At the moment, with the LW tool, it is very tedious. Is there some automatic feature that I am not aware of?

beegee
2003-09-25, 01:07 AM
If you're talking about a single building model, then no, there is no automatic tool and yes it can be tedious if you want to document that way.

If you've got a couple of buildings referenced into a site, you can show an elevation with one in "normal" linework and the other ( further away ) in halftone.

funkman
2003-09-25, 01:16 AM
bugger, i was thinking that would be the case. oh well.

Perhaps it could be developed - the way i could see it happening is with the elevation handle tool in plan, have three or 4 additional reference handles that defines if a wall/roof etc is within a particular zone then apply specified pen widths to each zone.

Any merit in this?

Steve_Stafford
2003-09-25, 01:20 AM
I'd like that concept very much, I could place each "division" in front of building features that "should" look lighter the farther back we go...