PDA

View Full Version : Auto-numbering parking tags

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-09, 01:41 PM
Is it possible to have auto-numbering parking tags, in a similar way as Revit auto-numbers other things like doors with Tag All? I know I can enter the mark numbers in a schedule, but for a large number of parking spots it is still very time consuming.

Scott Womack
2010-05-10, 10:21 AM
Unfortunately, no. The Autonumbering seems to be hard-coded into the program, and is not avaialble for families of any other catagory than those that /revit provided for.

greg.mcdowell
2010-05-10, 04:29 PM
The API can handle this I think. Pretty sure I've seen a tool out there to help renumber doors so it should be possible to do with any other category.

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-10, 04:38 PM
Yes, but as Scott said, Revit reserves the auto-numbering feature for certain objects, only. Maybe is an index number in that Doors' table in the database. Maybe other entities, like parking spots don't have that index number?

Dimitri Harvalias
2010-05-10, 09:26 PM
<Dirty little workaround mode ;on>
Open your parking stall family, change it's category to Door, window or some other auto-incrementing category and reload it into the project. Place your parking stalls and they will be numbered with automatic incrementing.
Once you're done you can change the category back and the stall numbers should be retained.
A couple of caveats. The family will need to be placed on a workplane and then re-hosted to the site or the floor.
This is probably best suited to the initial placement of the stalls just to save the initial input of numbers.
<Dirty little workaround mode ;off>

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-10, 09:37 PM
Hmm.. Thanks. I just tried your tip, but Revit did not let me cheat. Didn't tag the parking spots, even if they were disguised as doors. :(

Ning Zhou
2010-05-10, 10:21 PM
what about auto-renumbering rooms if they're already numbered? i mean w/o using schedule or API, is it possible?

Dimitri Harvalias
2010-05-11, 06:50 AM
Alfredo,
Please give it another try. The sequence is as follows.
Easiest way is to place the first stall in the project
Select the stall and select Edit Family
change the category to door, (set to workplane based if not already)
reload the family
place the stalls (check to see that they auto increment) You can tag on placement if you need to keep track of the numbers but keep in mind that these tags will be deleted when you change the category back
click on the family to edit it again
change the category back to parking
reload the family
Be sure a parking tag is loaded in your project
You should be able to tag the stalls individually or using tag all

Just to be sure I tried this in 2010 and 2011 and it seems to work for me in both. Let me know if you still have trouble.

Joe, automatic renumbering of rooms is not available out of the box but the Avatech utilities do have a renumbering tool. It saves some time but still requires some manual input.

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-11, 01:50 PM
Alfredo,
Please give it another try. The sequence is as follows...

It works! :) Excellent trick! Thank you very much Dimitri.

btrusty
2010-05-11, 01:57 PM
the problem i find (not so much with parking, but rather with doors or panels) is that changes between initial drawing/modeling and final CDs require the items (doors or panels) change so that the numbering has to be re-done at-least once, typically more.

it would be nice if there was an plugin that would re-number doors based on a drawn path perhaps? (e.g. draw a line around your building and the plugin would renumber your doors from (say 1 to 100) in that direction.

j_starko
2010-05-11, 07:23 PM
<Dirty little workaround mode ;on>
Open your parking stall family, change it's category to Door, window or some other auto-incrementing category and reload it into the project. Place your parking stalls and they will be numbered with automatic incrementing.
Once you're done you can change the category back and the stall numbers should be retained.
A couple of caveats. The family will need to be placed on a workplane and then re-hosted to the site or the floor.
This is probably best suited to the initial placement of the stalls just to save the initial input of numbers.
<Dirty little workaround mode ;off>

I like this. this is sneaky.

I'm trying this at home during the geek-out hour !

Steve_Stafford
2010-05-12, 02:10 AM
As tricky as Dimitri's suggestion is you can do something more mundane. If you are on subscription there are extensions available from the subscription site. You want the poorly named "Element Positioning" tool. This will let you number/renumber and tag your parking stall families. I posted a short video (http://www.screencast.com/t/MmFiNmI0N) this morning at my blog (http://www.revitoped.com).

travismv702230
2010-05-12, 01:45 PM
As tricky as Dimitri's suggestion is you can do something more mundane. If you are on subscription there are extensions available from the subscription site. You want the poorly named "Element Positioning" tool. This will let you number/renumber and tag your parking stall families. I will post a short video tonight at my blog (http://www.revitoped.com). I'll add the post address later.

Cool. Thanks Steve. I'm not working on parking at the moment but this frustrated me earlier in my current project and I'd love to revisit it. Plus, I'd love to be able show the other project team in house this trick since they were just laying out a parking deck...

Phillip_Miller
2010-05-12, 08:09 PM
With the 2011 API it would be very easy now to "Listen" for the insertion of the parking stall and autonumber it on insertion just like doors, windows etc. I might have a look at it? But as Steve has mentioned there is already a tool that can do this after the elements are inserted.

Dimitri Harvalias
2010-05-12, 11:52 PM
As tricky as Dimitri's suggestion is you can do something more mundane. .

Tricky is so much more fun than mundane (not necessarily more productive mind you) . ;)
Good call sir. I'll surely point users in that direction next time. :beer:

tmilani
2012-01-03, 10:44 PM
As tricky as Dimitri's suggestion is you can do something more mundane. If you are on subscription there are extensions available from the subscription site. You want the poorly named "Element Positioning" tool. This will let you number/renumber and tag your parking stall families. I posted a short video (http://www.screencast.com/t/MmFiNmI0N) this morning at my blog (http://www.revitoped.com).

I've used this extension and it's big downfall is that before it allows you to number objects it analyzes every single object in the model- if your model has tens-to-hundreds of thousands of objects like mine do then the time taken to analyze makes this exension unusable.

Does anyone know of a better extension?

vcoronelg687058
2015-10-15, 12:34 PM
Sadly, this workaround stopped working with revit 2016. It was working so fine until version 2014 but.. I updated to 2016 and no luck anymore. Any idea?

vcoronelg687058
2015-10-15, 12:40 PM
I subscribed to get this extension but all it is available at all. All I found is Revit "Extension for Fabrication", "Advance Steel 2016 Extension", but NOT the Revit extension including Element Positioning. Is it called differently now? is it a paid extension so it needs to downloaded from a different site? please advise.

yaaraguetta751486
2017-06-14, 04:30 PM
thanks for the respons. It's a shame we can't vote it up, so that it will be on the 1st page :(