PDA

View Full Version : Surface Rebuilds

dmetcalf
2010-05-25, 09:54 PM
When I create a surface from a feature line that ties into a surface that I have created, then paste that surface into the original surface, I get locked up in a loop. I have the automatic rebuild on for the surfaces. How do I avoid this looping.

civil3Dguide
2010-08-06, 04:10 PM
Not sure if this is the right or best answer, but would it help if you created a copy of the original surface and pasted into it , instead of the original surface??? of course if the original surface is still being updated or changed than this would not be a good path to take, I'm assuming it is the existing surface.

brian.hailey933139
2010-08-07, 01:04 AM
Christian is on the right track, just missed it by a hair. Create a new surface and paste BOTH the existing ground and the design surface into it. No need to copy. If either surface updates, the combination surface will update.

civil3Dguide
2010-08-07, 01:57 AM
That is perfect! I knew I was missing something.

CADiva
2010-11-04, 08:27 PM
Christian is on the right track, just missed it by a hair. Create a new surface and paste BOTH the existing ground and the design surface into it. No need to copy. If either surface updates, the combination surface will update.

Quick question: Does the order in which you paste the surfaces come into play when an update occurs? I know the order in which you paste surfaces can matter a good deal when one surface overwrites the other when creating a composite surface. I was planning on giving this a try later when I have time to see what happens.

**I just gave it a try and it doesn't, apparently the order you paste in is how it rebuilds it again in that same sequence. I should have thought about it more before I asked.**

brian.hailey933139
2010-11-07, 05:37 PM
If you go to the surface properties, definition tab (I think that's the tab, don't have C3D on this computer) and look down towards the bottom of the dialog box, you'll see the order that C3D rebuilds the surface. If you need to, you can reorder from there.