PDA

View Full Version : Not Responding

kathy71046
2010-05-31, 03:51 AM
Is anyone else getting ASD telling them it's not responding?

I'm running W7, and this has been ongoing since getting 2011 (and W7)

I'm just trying to determine if it's a W7 issue, or a 2011 issue...or some sort of hardware problem.

It's especially bad when doing a clash check.

lucis29
2010-06-01, 09:25 PM
Not yet.

Maybe you should wait a little more?

kathy71046
2010-06-01, 11:43 PM
I do wait, but sometimes it's over 3 full mins, and difficult to tell if it really has stopped responding or if it's actually churning away in the background.

I never had this issue with win xp 32 bit and asd 2010.

What version and OS are you using?

lucis29
2010-06-02, 05:34 PM
Windows 7 x64 & RSS 2011 @ Home

Windos XP SP3 & ASD 2011 @ Office

It is true that ASD Steel takes a while to check all the clashes and to update all connections. Sometimes it takes up to 3 min for a small warehouse (about 1200 sqm). So if you do work on large projects would be a normal waiting time.

Tell us how much the system resources are used (RAM, Proc, HDD, Virtual memory). Does this happens to all computers? Are you working on a project not located on your computer?

What PC configuration do you use?

kathy71046
2010-06-03, 12:01 AM
I have almost always worked on a project on the server, both at work and home, and previously it wasn't an issue.

It takes 30+ seconds to save, yet on my computer at home, even a big project will only take 10 seconds.

I might try and save it locally today and see if it makes a difference(at least on saves), but considering it appears to be model regeneration or something like that half the time, I won't hold my breath.

Since you don't seem to have much of it, it seems most likely to be a W7 issue.

On load of this project, which is around 12000 sqm, with all sheets generated and tables data linked, I have approx 1.2Gb ram in use by acad.

Simple commands chew the memory up very quickly, I can get to 90% usage of my 8Gb in an hour or two.

I am running a brand new quad core processor, the whole computer is barely 2 weeks older than 2011.

I only have my laptop to compare, (and it never had an issue like this) running winxp 32 bit and 4Gb Ram (obviously only 3 is used), but I've not loaded 2011 on it yet as I have had no contract work since it was released.

Just idling the program while typing here has run my ram up to 1.8Gb usage :(

Unless someone is running W7 and comments, I will probably never know.

joeb.243415
2010-06-07, 11:38 AM
Kathy,
If it helps, I just got a new computer. It is running Windows 7 and we are trying to use ASD 2010. I can't seem to do anything with it. As soon as I use any ASD command, it uses up all resources and freezes up. The way that our IT department said to get around this was to run windows xp through a virtual PC. All of this is installed, but I have not yet tried to run it this way. This is a solution someone came up with through Autodesks website. Please let me know if this information was helpful at all, but I am pretty sure that it is a Windows 7 issue.

Thanks,
Joe

lucis29
2010-06-07, 07:46 PM
joeb, I'm not sure that ASD 2010 supports Windows 7 (or viceversa).

kathy71046
2010-06-07, 11:27 PM
Thanks for your reply Joeb, ASD2010 is not officially supported in W7, although it seemed to run okay for me. (no worse than XP 32 bit anyway)

I'd consider your suggestion, if I was going to be using this for more than another couple weeks, but since we have purchased some real detailing software at work, there isn't much point getting IT people in to set it up with a virtual machine, and my home machine is 32 bit XP anyway.

It does seem to probably be a performance issue with W7, although with the amount of glitches and bugs I get, who knows.

lucis29
2010-06-09, 05:28 AM
Katika, what is the "real detailing software"?

kathy71046
2010-06-10, 12:07 AM
Katika, what is the "real detailing software"?

We are going to try Bocad, it looks very promising, but I suspect it's quite pricey.

From the questions I asked when they did the demo for me, it seems to address 90% of the things I have "issues" with in ASD, although I have a fairly extensive list of questions I will be asking during my training.

Unfortunately I am fairly certain my tiny little drafting business will not be able to afford it anyway, so I will only be using it at my paid employment.

lucis29
2010-06-10, 06:41 PM
That's why I was afraid. I hoped ASD Steel was the way to go, but now I see that it is quite limited. When they show you the demos the programs looks very promising.
I'll try the Tekla XSteel which is very popular in Romania. Unfortunately I've already covinced my boss to buy ASD. Hope Autodesk will work harder to make it more stable.

kathy71046
2010-06-10, 11:28 PM
yeah, I still think ASD has a lot of promise, unfortunately I doubt that it will be close to suitable for anything beyond tiny projects (20 asemblies) for at least 5 years.

Tekla is fairly popular here too, but at 50K+ $Au for a license, again, my personal business has no hope of buying it without some kind of major contract, and then, I'd still need to learn it.

I think there is only perhaps a dozen Bocad operators in Australia, but my boss already has the inventory management etc, and it's all supposed to integrate, as in it takes the steel I need for my project, compares it to stock, and spits out the required orders.

It also generates the cam data for the plasma cutter, and that has already been tested with contracted jobs created in Bocad. (And I am still waiting to find out how/if ASD can do that, I was told of course, but no info has been seen about it to date)

Anyway, time will tell, but it has at least 10x the connections to choose from than ASD has, and copies entire grids easily, as well as if I change a plate in an auto connection, it will change it on all instances, even if it's already been positioned and documented.

Let me know how you go with Tekla if you get it, and how hard it is to learn, as if I ever leave here, it would be handy to know so I can compare software then (or if I ever get the money to do it for night work :D )

lucis29
2010-06-11, 05:23 AM
You are right about connections in ASD. At first I thought there are a lot. Now i see that there kind of general.

There are so many detailing softwares on the market. I wished there was a top of them.
My hope is that Autodesk is a large company, and they will redirect a lot of resources in this application.

ToliG
2011-04-07, 12:33 PM
We are going to try Bocad, it looks very promising, but I suspect it's quite pricey.

Did you try it? What do you think about it?
I currently use it but meanwhile learning Revit Structure.

How many companies in Perth use Bocad?

If you have any questions regarding Bocad please ask (if I could answer them)

Cheers.