PDA

View Full Version : Shadows not displaying correctly

dfi
2010-06-10, 09:28 AM
When casting shadows with low sun angles there are portions of the shadows missing where there obviously should be shadows. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know if it is a bug or a display problem?

dfi
2010-06-14, 07:15 AM
So far my best solution is to photoshop the results. I don't think that it ment to be this way but at this point I don't have much choice.

crawfords
2010-06-21, 05:59 PM
Can you post an image of the problem?

jandresalonsoa
2010-09-01, 10:53 AM
I'm struggling with the same issue....
The bldg is casting shadows in the 3D editor but when selecting the visualize tab, there's no shadow display. I remember it happened few months back, but in this case the problem was regarding windows in the bldg, but in this instance, no windows and everything is opaque material. so if somebody came with a solution to this issue will be appreciated.

Happy simulations

dfi
2010-11-01, 08:48 AM
It has been a while since I started this tread, but the problem still persists. When I review the zones individually they all cast shadows perfectly, but when I have them all active the shadows are not cast at they get closer to the building. This gets worse with the lower the altitude of the sun. I am attaching an image of the problem this time. Has anyone had this problem. The model was created in Revit Architecture 2011 exported as a .dxf and analyzed in Ecotect Analysis 2011.

craines
2010-11-11, 04:47 PM
this problem is due to the complexity of your geometry in certain zones (i'm guessing at window mullions or railings), the more significant angle of the sun at sunrise/sunset, and ultimately limitations of opengl/graphics cards - ie. it will give varying results depending on hardware.
a warning to this effect is given in ecotect when you first install/use opengl view that explains that opengl shadows are NOT guaranteed to be fully accurate (plus several warnings in relevant sections of the help file) as they rely on your machines hardware and these variations are not always possible to predict, and through opengl are not able to be fully controlled.
having said this, shadows cast in the 3D editor are guaranteed to be accurate as they do not rely on opengl or hardware and are generated completely via ecotects implementation of sun position algorithms etc.
i would suggest you either simplify/turn off your more complex geometry and see if this fixes things, or for completely accurate/reliable shadows 100% of the time, just use the 3d editor view.