PDA

View Full Version : BIM Management Consulting - advice/comments

azmz3
2010-06-24, 08:29 PM
I was recently approached by a former firm to provide Revit training and implementation services to them. They currently have no Revit experience, and they are a small firm with 10-12 people, pretty managable I think. Now this was an opportunity I expressed to them when I was laid off earlier this year, but my situation has changed to where I am now working full-time. I would love to help them out, and also work my normal job, but dont feel I can devote the time required to both positions, to do both jobs efficiently and to what I am expected to do. Has anyone run into this situation before? How would you handle this?

m20roxxers
2010-06-25, 12:06 AM
Have you got anyone who can do the work?

I recently had the same issue and I referred them to a friend I knew was capable of the work and needed it for a finders fee.

Otherwise if your current work allows you to work weekends and for another firm then if you want to lose a lot of weekends good way to make abit of money.

azmz3
2010-06-25, 04:14 PM
Well, I know someone who could possibly do the work, but he doesnt work well with others, so I wouldnt recommend him. I am asking around at my office to see if anyone knows someone who would we proficient enough to do it.

Since the other firm is not in direct competition with us, it wouldnt be an issue to work for them, but since they want someone on staff, as a part-time position, nights and weekends wont work for them.

ghale
2010-06-28, 12:41 PM
Part time just doesn't work for anybody. For a firm the size of 10-12 people the company needs to have one of the full time employees direct a certain amount of time towards this effort. Otherwise they should hire a reseller as a consultant and live with the results. Hiring a competitor to do the work on the side is not a good approach. Nights and weekends don't answer immediate questions so real dedication can not given unless they are on staf full time. I would point the company to a reseller or an independent BIM consultant.

azmz3
2010-06-28, 09:28 PM
I am going to help them find someone who can do the work, and who is looking for work right now. They want someone on staff, but I dont know if they are 100% dedicated to converting fully to Revit. They have a workload for the the rest of the year, after that is up in the air. They have a reseller here in Phoenix they are working with to get their software purchased, but the Principal doesnt want to work on a contracy basis thru them.