PDA

View Full Version : Section Views and Section View Groups

WScottAllenPE
2010-07-07, 02:41 PM
I posted this question originally in February, but have not had any takers. I can't imagine that I and my collegues at work are the only ones that have this problem, and we need suggestions on how to solve it or work around it. There are a lot of really bright people around here, so I am hoping that someone has dealt with this before.

Say you create a section view group from Station 10+00 to Station 20+00. Then the client says "Hey, let's add a driveway at Station 15+40", so you need to add a cross section at 15+40. So, you add the sample line, etc., but ....

How do you add a new section view to a section view group?

Similar situation, I also need to add 1000 feet of sections at the end of my project. Without creating a new section view group,

How do you add a new section view to a section view group?

Thanks.

brian.hailey933139
2010-07-07, 08:57 PM
As far as I know, it can't be done. You would have to recreate the section view group. If you have a decent group plot style, it shouldn't be too terrible a task.

WScottAllenPE
2010-07-09, 11:16 AM
Thanks Brian,

I was afraid of that. My problem is that I often have to add things or label things on the cross sections that do not easily fit a C3D style. I've managed ways to create surfaces and use marker styles in corridors to do many of those, but not all. (For example, does C3D 2011 allow you yet to display perpendicularly crossing pipes in the sections that the sample lines do not cross through?) This means moving or redrawing objects as the sections shift by creating a new group.

Thanks though.

Scott

brian.hailey933139
2010-07-09, 04:23 PM
If that's the case, you would still have to move all the things you manually added to the sections. Just move the ones that need to be moved and add an individual section at the appropriate locations. The only thing with this is if you need to change styles, you have to do it to multiple groups.

jmoney
2010-07-27, 09:45 PM
Same problem. used the group view command to create sections every 50 ft but need to add sections at driveways. would like to include the added sections in the section view group so they inherit styles and so future style changes are handled in one location...
hopefully autodesk is listening!

C3D 2009.

WScottAllenPE
2010-07-28, 11:18 AM
Hi jmoney,

I'm glad to know we are not alone. Here's how we get around it right now. We create a series of sample lines at the very end of our project that are dummy lines. When we need to add a section, we move our sample lines, and update our section view group.

This works when you are only adding a few sections, but, of course, didn't help when I added 1000 feet to the end. What I didn't tell Brian from his response is that moving the stuff I draw in doesn't deal with the changes you need to make to section virews, such as setting the vertical elevation extents, etc.

Anyway, first post! Welcome to the forums. You'll find that it so easy, you get addicted to asking questions. If your like me, they'll be tough ones with no answer, and you'll drive poor Brian crazy with your questions. (Thanks Brian.)

Scott

jmoney
2010-07-28, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the response Scott. Good suggestion. I thought of that as well yesterday and will use it next time.

Jim