PDA

View Full Version : Replace subassembly?

randyspear
2010-07-23, 01:37 AM
When i build an assembly and then have to replace a subassembly close to the basepoint is there a way to replace it so the subassemblies that are attached to the initial part will be attached to the new part?

Otherwise i have recreate everything outside of it. It's beginning to be a major drawback.

Any tips?

mikeosborne
2010-07-26, 02:07 PM
Yes but it takes a few steps

1. Delete the subassembly you want to replace (the other subassemblies will then attach themselves to the next closest subassemblies or base point.)

2. Then select the subassembly you want in you assembly and place it where you want it.

3. Now select the subassemblies that were previously attached to the subassembly you just deleted, and right click to bring your shortcut menu.

4. In the shortcut menu there will be an option that says "Move to" select this option to move all of your subassembly to the attachment point of the subassembly you just added.

Remember if the subassembly you just deleted had targets set in your corridor you will have to go and re-set those targets for you new subassembly.

If anyone know of a better/quicker way than this I would to hear it.

randyspear
2010-07-26, 03:26 PM
Yeah, i was doing that but it appeared that when i used the move command in the shortcut menu it was just moving the subs to that specific offset and vertical distance from the basepoint therefore if i was in super or the new sub targets and alignment/profile then the others were following correctly. Thats why i thought there might be a command that prompts you for an attachment point (similar to when initially inserting it).

I'll give it another shot though. thanks.

sinc
2010-07-26, 03:33 PM
You can try this:

Find the subassembly you want in the Tool Palette.
Right-click on the desired subassembly and select "Apply Tool Properties to Subassembly".
In your drawing, select the subassembly(s) you want to replace.

randyspear
2010-07-28, 12:15 AM
I just tried that but it only works for subs on the right side. If i try to apply it to the left it still inserts a "right" assembly.

Is this normal?

jpaulsen
2010-07-28, 01:48 PM
Try keeping the properties palette open as you are inserting it and change it to left before placing it.

sinc
2010-07-28, 02:21 PM
That is pretty annoying... But after using "Apply Tool Properties to Subassembly", you can select the subassembly, then right-click -> Subassembly Properties and change it to Left.

randyspear
2010-07-28, 08:58 PM
I tried setting left and right before insertion in the properties palette with no luck and the left/right option is greyed out after insertion.

I realized today that i'm still using our 2008 civil 3d palettes in 2009 (shared on a network). I'll have to get the 2009 palettes set up for us and try this again.

Thanks for your help.

sinc
2010-07-28, 09:14 PM
Yeah, you have to select the subassembly, then right-click and select "Subassembly Properties". You can change it from "Right" to "Left" there, just not in the Properties window. It's a mystery as to why the "Side" option is greyed out in the Properties window. Just another one of those Autodesk things, I guess.