PDA

View Full Version : Mouse "lags" on all pc's simultaneously

JKlundert
2010-08-11, 07:50 AM
Hi all,

I'm working in a mid-size factory with an engineering dep. On this department users are complaining there autoCAD 2010 is responding slow - their mouse "lags" - people are having this issue for months now and there isnt any solution found yet.

All machines have this issue running autocad - nearly all on the same time. As our license server is running over the network from a different site - they complain the network to be the issue. Only i cannot believe a application like autocad goes "laggy" cus of a network issue.

Am i wrong? Is this possible - or is there any other solution known?

Thanks in advance.

Joris

JKlundert
2010-08-11, 08:43 AM
just got a response form a user over here they do the following to be able to work:

- copy drawing from DMS to local pc
- start autocad
- close DMS system & Remove network cable

to me it looks closer to an issue with the license server - but im not sure about that.
The machines they use are CAD-systems (8gb mem - dual quad core xeon - nVidia Quadro)

Joris

mvsawyer
2010-08-11, 03:37 PM
From my experience, working on the server does cause slow downs or lags. I've not experienced the mouse lag but I have encountered command lag and open/save lag when working off the server. Also, if you have custom files and Acad operating files on the server (Toolpalettes, CUIX) You can notice lags. I'm working on a 64-bit, 8Gb Ram, i5, 2.7 GHz CPU. To minimize slow downs, I put as much as I could on my local pc and removed most of the network folders from my Support file search path.

framedNlv
2010-08-11, 06:20 PM
We have found that running a backup while people are drafting autocad (mouse clicks) will slow down. You might want to see if things on the server are running during work hour that could be done after hours. You might need to optimize the server (ram, services, third party software......).

Windows search 4.0 can also cause some ****** indexing problems. I had to uninstall this update on our servers.

Did you reboot the server(s)? Might be something was updated and requires a reboot.

Good luck.

JKlundert
2010-08-12, 08:01 AM
We're not running any backups on the servers during work time - and we do some regular reboots (twice a month at least).

will check for windows search - but as far i know its not installed.

I will ask them to check to put as much as possible local - including profiles, fonts etc.

Thanks for thinking with me - i will keep you guys up to date!

JKlundert
2010-08-13, 06:57 AM
i checked both options - running local profiles and files - but the issue still occurs.

users have no clue on what the issue could be - the issue occurs now since begin of may, but nothing has changed since that time.

edit - also no windows search found on clients or servers

This weekend i will swap over the network connections to one switch and see what happens

cadtag
2010-08-13, 01:52 PM
scheduled antivirus scans????

that's a killer here -- for some reason it doesn't think people work around noon-ish, much less thru the lunch hour, so I reboot to kill the scan daily.

BlackBox
2010-08-13, 02:03 PM
scheduled antivirus scans????

that's a killer here -- for some reason it doesn't think people work around noon-ish, much less thru the lunch hour, so I reboot to kill the scan daily.

That's an interesting little workaround you've got there, Cadtag... I'll have to give that a try! ;)

cadtag
2010-08-13, 03:26 PM
since the alternative is a three hour lunch.... or a less intrusive/intensive AV package.

irneb
2010-08-14, 04:54 PM
You should be able to set your AV's scheduled scan to whatever time / interval you wish.

BTW, it's not really good for your PC and HDD to have it work so hard. Especially the HDD only has that much working "life" and doing an effective read of the entire disc at least once a day is much more than most of these discs were designed for.

It should be adequate to set your scheduled scan to happen about once a week (if your AV also includes a real-time-scan). Some of the cheaper / freeware AVs (e.g. ClamWin) only have scheduled / manual scanning, so in this case it's not a good idea. With slightly better AV's they scan each file as it's opened (i.e. real-time), and with the most pedantic of AV's you even get them scanning emails and web pages before your program gets them.

However ... :roll: ... the real-time thingy may even cause more delays. It's the 2nd reason I've moved away from AVG: it simply killed both my work PC and my laptop (ACad taking more than 5min to open with blank DWG). I'm now using Avast ... seems a lot less system hogging than AVG (ACad now takes less than 1min), not to mention it's already found 5 infections which AVG didn't pick up at all. And it does the email & web thingy without AVG's extra-heavy RAM & CPU use.

I've got it set to scan from 18:00 on Mondays only, and shutdown when finished. That way I leave the PC on at Monday evening, it scans till about 20:00 and shuts down. I even had this when still using AVG. And if I have a late working session on Monday, open Avast (double click on task-bar icon) and click the Pause / Stop button.

jaberwok
2010-08-15, 07:46 PM
I've used !Avast for years and highly recommend it. (Usual disclaimers apply)

RobertB
2010-08-16, 09:44 PM
You should be able to set your AV's scheduled scan to whatever time / interval you wish.Not in many corporate environments. The scheduling may be up to the AV Administrator.

irneb
2010-08-17, 04:59 AM
Not in many corporate environments. The scheduling may be up to the AV Administrator.Well, in such case the "Administrator" needs to think about this: Would it not be more productive to ensure the employees' PCs work optimally during the time they use them?

It's the same reason why houskeeping tasks (such network backups) should not be run during office hours.

JKlundert
2010-08-17, 01:08 PM
Over here there is no AV scheduled on workday - so thats not an issue.

we have tried putting everything local but issues still remains
only when users remove nw cable issue goes away...

irneb
2010-08-17, 01:39 PM
Well, that means there's something trying to connect to the network and causing delays. It may even be something else than ACad. The only way to check it all is to use something like Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx) to find out what it is.

RobertB
2010-08-19, 12:18 AM
Over here there is no AV scheduled on workday - so thats not an issue.

we have tried putting everything local but issues still remains
only when users remove nw cable issue goes away...This sounds a lot like the SSM "network storm" issue. Are you using SSM? If so, when this happens do you notice that the SSM is locked until the storm is done and then goes unlocked?