PDA

View Full Version : Combining two corridors into one section view?

WScottAllenPE
2010-08-20, 05:16 PM
I think this might be a re-iteration of the question posed by "civil3Dguide" on March 22, 2010 (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=116117), but I thought I'd rephrase it to make sure.

Say that you have a divided highway where the centerlines are not parallel. They have to be built as two corridors so that the slopes and distances all come out to be correct when the corridors are built (that is, perpendicular to each side's centerline). You end up with two corridors A and B each representing one side of a divided highway. No problem.

When you create your cross sections, you specify sample lines from one alignment / centerline, say alignment A.

Question: How do you get corridor B to show up in your section views that you created for corridor A?

Yes, a work around would be to create a surface of corridor B and sample it in section view group A, but you'd have to do that for each link to get them all to display (all your asphalt lifts, subgrade, curbs, etc.).

Is this really by design as "sinc" suggests, or is there a way around this?

WScottAllenPE
2010-08-20, 06:05 PM
OK. Give me a few hours and I'll figure it out.

The answer appears to be OFFSET ASSEMBLIES. (Never used them before. Now I know what they do.)

Here's what I did. I created an offset assembly for the assembly B components. Assembly A components are on the base assembly. After you rebuild the corridor, the offset assembly appears in the corridor properties and allows you to select alignment B and profile B for the offset assembly. The base assembly then references A, and the offset assembly references B.

The section views are then built from alignment A and profile A, and the offset assembly B shows up correctly! Yeah.

I do wonder if this setup is properly dynamic though. After doing this, when I went back and changed the targets and reloaded my corridor Xref drawing in my section drawing, the section views did not update properly. I had to remove and re-sample the corridor in the section view group to display correctly.

Comments?

Thanks