PDA

View Full Version : My insanity is infectious!

keelay711
2004-12-22, 01:31 AM
Greetings all!

My name is Kyle, hailing from Sunny San Diego, CA. Ain't ya jealous? Ya... I just wish I could afford the next rent :-) I work at DYK Inc., which specializes in designing/constructing prestressed concrete reservoirs. I earned the job 2+ years ago while still attending ITT Tech. It is amazing to see the difference in my drawings from then to now. Gah! My old stuff was horrible!

I just signed up with AUGI a few days b4 AU started, and I have already picked up a couple more tricks. Lots of info at AU to sift thru... phew!

Next time your manager tells you what to do, reply with this:
"Shhhh... your sense of logic is interferring with my grip on insanity."

jhohman
2004-12-22, 01:14 PM
Hello, Kyle, welcome to the forums. I hail from a bit north of Tampa, FL. I too went to ITT but that was quite a few years back. Class of 98 Tampa campus. I know how you feel, I was looking at some of my old drawing too, what a difference today. Just wanted to say welcome and enjoy the forums. :beer:

thomas.stright
2004-12-22, 01:23 PM
Ain't ya jealous?

Of high prices for everything....Nah! Only that you Guys use all the good weather up before it hits the east coast.

Welcome to the Fourms

Wanderer
2004-12-22, 01:39 PM
Greetings all!

My name is Kyle, hailing from Sunny San Diego, CA. Ain't ya jealous? Ya... I just wish I could afford the next rent :-) I work at DYK Inc., which specializes in designing/constructing prestressed concrete reservoirs. I earned the job 2+ years ago while still attending ITT Tech. It is amazing to see the difference in my drawings from then to now. Gah! My old stuff was horrible!

Next time your manager tells you what to do, reply with this:
"Shhhh... your sense of logic is interferring with my grip on insanity."
hey, another young un like me! welcome! and no, not jealous, grew up in oxnard, don't really miss it (except living two blocks from the beach), we'll be getting snow tonight. :))

I would just like to say, I DID NOT go to ITT (or Ranken or Vatterott...) ;) And my buddies used to make fun of me because I didn't go to a 'real technical school'. lol.

thomas.stright
2004-12-22, 01:58 PM
I would just like to say, I DID NOT go to ITT .

I can say the same, I learned OTJ and outta the book....

jhohman
2004-12-22, 02:10 PM
I would just like to say, I DID NOT go to ITT (or Ranken or Vatterott...) ;) And my buddies used to make fun of me because I didn't go to a 'real technical school'. lol.

Real tachnical school, that's funny, I personally would have rather spent the money on a vehicle and learn OTJ but, can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job, guess I have to go to school. Just my opinion but ITT blows as a tech school! :mrgreen:

Wanderer
2004-12-22, 02:14 PM
can't get a job without experience
not true... just take a job no one else wants... ;) worked for me...

can't get experience without a job
so true, so true...

Steve_Bennett
2004-12-28, 03:51 AM
Welcome to AUGI!!!

I work in Irvine, CA, just up the freeway.

keelay711
2005-01-04, 10:56 PM
Indeed, ITT got me the job but didnt give me the tools. I paid how much for a piece of paper so people would take me seriously??? OTJ is where all the learning takes place, not at any tech school.

Brian Myers
2005-01-09, 10:16 PM
Well OTJ is where all the information is learned to help you succeed in your profession. But, without the education you likely wouldn't be useful enough to your company when you are first hired to even KEEP your first design/drafting job. The education is just the basic skills (and the proof that you are dedicated to the profession) the knowledge is earned on the job.

But I agree, I look back on some of my first work and can't believe how much I've learned OTJ (of course, I was actually considered more of a CAD expert back then!!!) but I'm a much more useful EMPLOYEE today!

kemp
2005-01-10, 07:02 AM
Hi there well just wanted to say i didn't go to ITT I went to cfcc in ocala, floriduh now thats what i call insane.my last week in school my doctor told me i have a weak heart and can't work. that was two years ago I now am trying to make up my mind if i should try and get a job using cad.the heart is working better now so please any help either pro or con will help.

robert.1.hall72202
2005-01-10, 01:17 PM
Ive found that you can learn the most CAD at a voacational school.
IE....training for on the job. My background contains a CAD certificate worth 400 hours and a drafting class I took.....learned way more in both those classes that was job related than in the entire education that cost me half my lifes savings.
I was never really learning to draw OTJ.

Adam R.
2005-05-23, 08:52 PM
ITT, Tampa, 1998??? Then I should remember you, I'm Adam Robitaille. I graduated from ITT in Tampa in '98. I went to work for Arthur Rutenberg before graduating, and now reside at The Fechtel Co.

Yes ITT does suck.

eng5
2005-05-23, 09:56 PM
Now this from an old timer. Started drafting (pencil on vellum) way back in 1960, thanks to Uncle Sam and the USAF. Spent nearly 40 years as a pencil or pen & ink draftsman.
Company changed to AUTOCAD-R14. Went to vocational school 2nights per week, 4 hours per night for 12 weeks. The 6 of us all had experience as draftsmen so the instructor told all had to do was learn to use the computer to do what we already knew how to do. Thanks, not all that simple! Have worked R14, 2000i and 2005. Have done drawings for machine works (drilling rigs, front end loaders, highway construction sweepers, trash trucks and now petroleum transfer fittings) and environmental site layouts for remediation sites.

No matter what you draw, it basics are all the same. The pictures are different. And it all is learned through OJT.

God bless the working man!