PDA

View Full Version : Modeling 3D Roads, Intersections & Cul-de-Sacs

ramon.80175
2004-12-22, 01:33 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am new to these forums, and I'm also a bit green with Civil Design as we just cross-graded our LDD to the Subscription version of Civil Design and Civil 3D. I have tons of experience with just basic AutoCAD, but we purchased LDD and I have just now FINALLY got the technique down for creating a terrain model from our designs. Our goal is to be able to do visualizations and eventually export our terrains to VIZ for final rendering.

However I do NOT know how to model roads! This is where Civil Design comes in! We also purchased the book, "Digging into Autodesk land Desktop 2004" by Rick Ellis, which has gotten me as far as creating alignments, vertical curves, templates and all the methods for creating a model of a 3D Road. A very simple one! Very cool actually!

HOWEVER....I still don't know how to model the intersections or cul-de-sacs! I don't know how they tie in! I realize that under the LAYOUT menu I can find tools for intersections and cul-de-sacs, but these would just be 2D objects, correct? How can I actually have cul-de-sacs at the end of my roads modeled in 3D as well as having my intersections modeled?

I know I'm asking for a lot of help here, but if anyone can point me to other learning resources as well to get started that would be great! Does anyone know if the "Autodesk Civil Design 2005 Essentials - AOTC Courseware" is something that would be helpful for a beginner like me?

If it helps any, we are not trying to achieve precise civil quality roads and terrains for surveying, we just want to create awsome visualizations. I work for a planner and I input grades to build models from, and we would like to complete the package by being able to model roads and building pads to place houses on!

Sorry for the mouthful! :-o Thanks everyone!

sturner
2004-12-22, 01:43 PM
they can be sticky, the way i do the road intersections and cul-de-sac is first draw it in 2D so i have a outline of the curbs, walks and shoulders. after running the templetes thru i import the 3d grid for the roads located in the pull down menu, cross sections --> 3d grid. but only from pi to pi and use 3d polylines and spots to complete the surface. using the routines located in the menu terrain --> 3d polylines.
you could use transitional templates for modeling the curb and shoulder at the curb radius but they are a lot more work. i would also recommend the book harnessing autocad land development desktop by phillip p. zimmerman ISBN 0-7668-2806-9. he uses LDD 2 but the information is still good. and he explaines almost every part of the program.
hope this helps get you going.

mjfarrell
2004-12-22, 02:14 PM
In short, yes 3d will let you model those things
and link via VIZRENDER.

ramon.80175
2004-12-22, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the advice Sturner - that helps alot!

sturner
2004-12-28, 01:34 PM
glad i could help!!