PDA

View Full Version : Surface Mask Contour Problem

richard_bauer
2010-10-18, 05:09 PM
This is my first post on AUGI. I have found it to be a very useful forum.

My problem is that I have an existing ground surface that I want to mask out in the sheet files where the proposed ground surface is. The proposed ground surface is created from a corridor and that corridor surface has a boundary on it. I have an XREF that I shortcut in the EG and then place a mask on it using that same boundary polyline that was used on the FG. I would prefer to have it in the individual sheet file, however, there are over 100 sheets created with Plan Production and any changes that need to be made need to be made quickly over all the sheets.

The problem: The countours get "distorted" once the mask is applied. Pictures are attached of before and after mask is applied (After then Before respectively).

This is the 2nd segment out of 8 segments I have done so far of the 53 miles of the alignment that has this level of "distortion". There were a few of the surfaces that have a few, like 1 or 2, of the contours that have this distortion. All the surfaces were created the same way. I tried using the proposed surface for the mask object and that worked the same. We would prefer to use the proposed surface instead of a single polyline as the surface will be changing throughout the design process. The first one we came across was handled with a solid mask until we could get it figured out. Since I came across this second one now, I am stumped on what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

brian.hailey933139
2010-10-18, 10:22 PM
The approach I would take is to create a new surface, paste the existing ground (?) into it and then apply a boundary to the surface where the proposed and existing overlap. You can then datareference that surface into your sheets. Change the source surface and all the sheets change.

This surface would be used only for display purposes and you wouldn't use it to create profiles, volumes, etc.