PDA

View Full Version : Contours from LiDAR - Civil 3D 2011

thinkdesign_liesl
2010-11-05, 06:47 PM
I am ultimately trying to create a TIN and contours from LiDAR data. I have created a point cloud using the xyz LiDAR data, but from that point I am stuck.

I created a surface, but can't attach data properly using the xyz LiDAR information. I get some parsing errors and a bunch of points don't come in because their elevations are "below given limit".

I don't have a DEM file, nothing except the xyz LiDAR data. A colleague with MapInfo made a DXF for me of the contours (he had no trouble creating them!) but my DXF comes in with "0" z values.

How do I get my contours? It's probably simple, but I can't see it, after probably 10 hours pulling out my hair and not eating or taking a bathroom break. OK, TMI.

I wish I had Eagle Point... so much freaking easier but oh well. I am fairly new at Civil 3D 2011 so please be gentle.

Thanks in advance.

matt.miyamoto
2010-11-07, 05:33 AM
Once you have the point cloud created in Civil 3D 2011, you can use the Add Points to Surface option that appears in the contextual ribbon tab when you select the point cloud object. The Add Points to Surface option was added in 2011 and allows you to draw a region, use an object, or use the entire point cloud extents as the boundary of your surface. Once the surface has been created your surface style will control the display of contours.

brian.hailey933139
2010-11-07, 05:43 PM
So much easier? Are you kidding me?

Create a surface, expand out the surface in the prospector, right click on point files, choose add, select the point format, select the point file, then.... oh, wait, your done! Doesn't get much easier!

Coolmo
2010-11-17, 01:19 AM
So much easier? Are you kidding me?

Create a surface, expand out the surface in the prospector, right click on point files, choose add, select the point format, select the point file, then.... oh, wait, your done! Doesn't get much easier!

If you're using LIDAR "bare earth data" you might need to edit the file first to take out the first line which might read "x,y,z". This, I guess was put there to let the end user know the format of the file and, in my experience, bombs the process. Pretty simple otherwise... like Brian Hailey says.