PDA

View Full Version : Create surface from txt element

TanelF
2010-11-11, 03:16 PM
I have attached part of the DWG file which I received from the surveyor. They have surveyed a lake and it is my task to calculate how much of the existing soil needs to be removed to reach a depth of -2.5m. All the survey points (in the form of text) have an x, y and z parameter.

My question is, using Civil 3D 2011, how can I use that information to create a surface? The problem for me is that the points are not really points, they are text objects with a z parameter.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

rkmcswain
2010-11-11, 05:57 PM
Create a new surface, drill your way down to the definition and right click on "Drawing Objects". Choose "Add". In the resulting dialog, select Object Type = Text. You may want to go back and add a boundary also.

Having said that, the text in this drawing looks more like depth values than actual elevations.

TanelF
2010-11-11, 09:56 PM
You are right, the surveyors were measuring the depth of the lake and gave this file to me. Thanks to your instructions, I was able to generate a baseline surface from the text objects. What would be the best way to create a new surface?

Eventually I would like to compare two surfaces with each other and determine how much soil has to be removed from the lake to reach a depth of -2.5m.

So I guess I will make a surface that is at an elevation of -2.5m. Can I just add points to define the new surface or do I have to draw some polyline? I don't want to import the second surface from anywhere... I just want to create it within Civil 3D.

Oh and btw. Thanks for your patience. Today is the first time I launched Civil 3d. I've been going through the tutorials but it seems quite overwhelming at first.

rkmcswain
2010-11-11, 10:29 PM
I would just draw a closed polyline at elevation -2.5 and create the surface from that. You could also use feature lines, or 4 points, or other entities....

TanelF
2010-11-12, 09:46 AM
My entire drawing is in meters... but when I check surface properties, then it displays the area in feet. Why is that?

Also the volumes are calculated in cubic yards... how could I choose cubic meters?

rkmcswain
2010-11-12, 12:33 PM
My entire drawing is in meters... but when I check surface properties, then it displays the area in feet. Why is that?

Also the volumes are calculated in cubic yards... how could I choose cubic meters?

Did you ever change the settings of the drawing to metric?
Run the command _AeccEditDrawingSettings. Is all of that set correctly?

TanelF
2010-11-12, 09:06 PM
I usually just use the "units" command to set up the metric system... at least that is what I have been doing so far in AutoCAD. I guess Civil 3D is a little different in that regard.

Jeff_M
2010-11-12, 09:13 PM
I guess Civil 3D is a little different in that regard.Yep! All the styles are based on the units of the drawing. You are best served to use a template setup initially for Metric when you will be working in metric units.