PDA

View Full Version : Generating contours from gridded height data

emmajnsmith
2011-01-27, 04:43 PM
I have been looking for a solution for a good few hours now- maybe I'm not doing the right searches....

I am stuck trying to convert gridded height data as supplied from centremaps as a dxf to contours.

I have tried changing the surface properties in toolspace, and creating a contour surface with the appropriate base elevation and minor/major intervals, but was stumped when it seemed I'd have to create a DEM using files and a dialog box I've never seen before.

I really thought it'd have been a simple job to join all points sharing the same z coordinate with a polyline. I know I'm missing something really obvious! Please help.....

sinc
2011-01-27, 08:21 PM
Can you post a sample piece of your source data?

MatthewHeal83
2011-04-27, 03:56 PM
If it is all point data in xyz format can you not just create Civil 3D points from the objects and generate a surface from points? Or create a surface from AutoCAD objects (Points or blocks)?

That would seem the simplest way. If you are trying to connect the points yourself to make contours you are kind of taking the work away from the program since that is what is designed to do.