PDA

View Full Version : Help creating a Surface

adrianmreid212851
2011-03-01, 11:07 PM
Hey guys bare with me please and point out if I make any errors in terms,
I am very new to autocad civil 3d and I have a .dwg file with points that I'm pretty sure have an x-y location and an elevation. All together, they are meant to represent a dirt road with multiple land marks i.e. trees, small buildings, and troughs. My question is how do I create a visible surface using these points? Also, do you have any recommendations as to what I should do in general if you see anything wrong.

Ive attached the file,
Thanks guys

sinc
2011-03-02, 05:57 PM
Yes, you have Cogo Points. You also have a bunch of breaklines, in the form of 3D Polylines.

To create a Surface, simply create a new Surface in Propsector, then add your Cogo Points (as a Point Group) and your 3D Polylines (as Breaklines) to the Surface definition. Select your desired display style for the Surface, and voila. You might still need to do some additional cleanup, such as boundary trimming or triangle flipping, but your Surface should be mostly complete as soon as you add the points and breaklines.

The best thing to do is go through the Tutorials that ship with the product. There's a bunch of things you need to know before you can use Civil 3D effectively, similar to how you need to learn alphabet, grammar, and vocabulary before you can start dissecting literature. The Tutorials go over a lot of this basic information.

Well, actually, the best thing to do is get some training. But in the meantime, the Tutorials are a good starting point, and step you through some of these basic tasks like building a Surface.

adrianmreid212851
2011-03-06, 06:54 PM
Thank you so much for your help.
Believe me I would love to get some training if anyone around taught it

Here's what I did.
1. I had point groups already but i made a new one just to be sure called "test all cogo" and under the include tab I just selected "include all points"
2. Under Surface Definition I added the new point group to the point group
3. Under breaklines i highlighted the entire drawing and added it as a breakline except for the construction lines and figured that it wouldn't add the points automatically. (i tried this twice, called test 1&2)
4. Under surface properties I chose Contours and Triangles as my style

My issue now is that it doesn't look any different than what I started with aside from a certain irrelevant layer that I hid

This is the new file

sinc
2011-03-06, 09:00 PM
There seem to be multiple problems.

One is that you have some polylines that are 2D, and not 3D (e.g. the Edge of Road). So I removed your breaklines and re-added them as proximity breaklines.

You also had a lot of crossing breaklines. So I set the Build options to allow crossing breaklines, and to use the average elevation where breaklines cross. I also applied a max triangle length of 75m, to clean up the boundary a bit.

The result is still quite messy. A 3D picture is attached.