PDA

View Full Version : number of firms that have....

feargt
2011-03-03, 02:40 PM
Hi all,

I'm just curious to find out, how many companies that are using BIM or CAD software have programmers working for them. If your company has a programmer....

1) Are they full-time or part-time/ on contract / other

2)What type of programmes have they developed

3)What industry is your company working in.

I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to answer these questions or even to give their two cents worth to the topic.

Regards

Feargt

stimmo520
2011-03-04, 02:17 PM
We don't, but we have designers that have learned a bit of C# to create a few tools to keynote and place tags. It would be nice, but not really feesable as we are a twenty man firm.

DoTheBIM
2011-03-04, 08:18 PM
Not going to be too many firms that have enough overhead wiggle room for dedicated programmers, mostly self taught hacks that do it in spare time or squeeze it in between tasks to create little shortcut stuff. Heck we have a programmer, and since we've had Revit since v.8 he's not touched one bit of Revit programming even though he's threatened to a few times. Not entirely his fault for that though.

m20roxxers
2011-03-08, 12:33 AM
We just hired our first Programmer fulltime.

Previous to this I was the psuedo programmer but I have only done basics and tinkering with existing stuff to make it work for our systems.

emarchetto
2011-03-09, 02:10 PM
Hi all,

I'm just curious to find out, how many companies that are using BIM or CAD software have programmers working for them. If your company has a programmer....

1) Are they full-time or part-time/ on contract / other

2)What type of programmes have they developed

3)What industry is your company working in.

I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to answer these questions or even to give their two cents worth to the topic.

Regards

Feargt

Hi, my current company hired me with design automation programming as my primary duty along with design work. This company is a elevator consulting firm and I have developed (and continue to develop) in C# a design system that automates our layout design drawings in AutoCAD and also links to Revit to generate models of our designs when needed.

Previously I have also worked full time for one other company for five years as a primary function automation programming along with design work. Then for over ten years (and still now some) consulting being hired out project based by various companies in different industries for automation programming.

It's fun :)