PDA

View Full Version : Combining Student Files

DesignTeacher
2011-03-19, 01:02 AM
I am a relatively new REVIT Architecture user and had an idea I would really like to use in my classroom. I would like to know if it is possible to create a large Topo drawing with streets and sidewalks already drawn that also has lots predetermined. The object of this assignment is to assign each of my students a lot and have them custom design a home within a set of guidelines. Once the students have finished their designs, I would liek to put all of the designs together to form a "Model Home" neighborhood. Can such a thing be done and if so, how the heck would I go about doing such a thing?

Thanks for you time.

Karn Gustafson

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-03-19, 02:48 AM
This would be a great exercise to teach your students a number of Revit principals.
Start a new project and model your site as a Topo surface. Add property lines for each site. Use sub-regions to define your streets and sidewalks.
Each student can link this file into their project and using shared coordinates you can have each house placed in the site model in the correction orientation and at the correct elevation. Each house model then gets linked back Into the neighborhood model. The cool part is if everyone agrees to upload to a shared location throughout the exercise each model would be shown in progress and everyone could watch the neighborhood 'under construction'!8)
They could also see how their design affects their neighbor with regards to shadows, views etc.

DesignTeacher
2011-03-19, 03:53 PM
Thanks for your reply. I am about to show just how green I am with REVIT. I cannot figure out how to draw the streets. I understand using subregions, however when I try to connect together the streets at corners, I am given the message that subregions can not intersect. Any suggestions

I really appreciate the help.

Karn

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-03-19, 06:27 PM
Sketch lines for your sub-regions cant overlap each other. Usually the best option would be to use the pick tool when drawing the abutting sketch but sub-regions don't allow you to pick their edges.
Next best alternative is to use the one sketch as the starting point for the other sketch.
Before you finish the first sketch copy to the clipboard (CTRL+C) any lines that will be edges on the next sketch. Start the next sketch and paste > same place and then just erase the lines you don't need, add the rest of your lines and finish the sketch.
Try to keep the sketch simple (fewer lines, arcs and lines vs spline curves) but have it cover as large an area as possible to make editing and troubleshooting easier.
Is this a real piece of property that you have a dwg or sketch of or are you making it up?

DesignTeacher
2011-03-19, 07:27 PM
I am making it up as I go along. These are students who are using REVIT for the first time so I want to give them plenty of room to work with. They will also be doing a little bit of landscaping as part of the project. I finally figured out the roads and have drawn in property lines giving each student apporximately 3600 square feet to work with on fairly level terrain. I am attaching the file with the site plan done and some property lines drawn. I am not sure where to go from here. I really appredciate the help.

Karn Gustafson

DesignTeacher
2011-03-19, 07:29 PM
Let me try attaching that REVT document again.I think I have properly attached it this time.

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-03-19, 08:32 PM
If the file is too large you can try zipping it.

DesignTeacher
2011-03-19, 09:55 PM
Lets see if this works.

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-03-21, 05:50 PM
Looks good so far Karn. This should be enough to get them going.
Next step might be to assign a lot number to each piece of property and create a schedule. You can verify that areas are close to even (the lot on the NE corner better have a good view 'cuz it's pretty small :lol: )
Once it's the way you want it hand the site file to students along with their assigned lot and they would be responsible for exploring the properties of each piece of property to find their correct lot. Make sure that north is where you want it (pointing UP by default in Revit).

I see you've posted another thread about how to link the site models so I'll leave that explanation to that thread.

If this is as much about learning the software as it is about the design exercise there are a number of assignments you can put in place to help the students explore the tools available in Revit.
Good luck with this. I'd be really curious to see you post the results or make them available to everyone to have a look at. Always eager to see what the next generation is up to.

DesignTeacher
2011-03-21, 07:51 PM
Thank you so much Dimitri. I really apprecate your assistance. I think this seems like alot of fun. I hope that my students agree. I am going ot have my comercial design students put together multipurpose high rises in a commercial area of the neighborhood. I will definitely post the work as students get things done. Any more suggestions you have would be welcomed and appreciated.

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-06-15, 05:06 PM
Hi Design Teacher.
Just wondering how those student projects are coming along?

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-10-16, 05:31 PM
Still wondering :lol: