PDA

View Full Version : DEM from text file - maybe

trconnet
2011-04-01, 01:47 PM
Problem: Create a DEM from contour data
Obstacle: Using map cleanup - there are around 30000 crossing lines.

I have tried many times to tackle this from many directions.

Newest idea: Take all elevational information and turn it into a raster in ArcGIS. Turn raster into a large point shape file. Import shape file section by section and make a node topology and report out the x1,y1,z1 to a text file.

I do not want Civil3d to bomb out from too much data. What is the best way to handle a large number of points to make a surface and than make a DEM?
Thank you,
Tim

sinc
2011-04-01, 02:13 PM
Did you try adding your contours as Contour data to your surface? You'll probably have to play with the Weeding Factors to limit the C3D Surface to a reasonable size.

Although it sounds like your contours may be broken into thousands of tiny line segments...? That might prevent the weeding factors from working properly.

Were you unable to join the contours back into polylines with Map Cleanup?

sinc
2011-04-01, 02:15 PM
BTW, you shouldn't need to go through ArcGis to accomplish this task. But if you already generated your (x,y,z) file, you can always just add that file as a Point File to the Surface definition. (In other words, DO NOT import all the points as Cogo Points, just add the Point File directly to the Surface definition.)

trconnet
2011-04-01, 03:07 PM
On the cleanup, I originally dissolved the pieces together a while back. I check it to see what I can see on the originals.
I have had various memory errors trying to get it to work. All I have is line work to start with. I will play around with it some more.

Thanks,
Tim

Jmurphy
2011-04-01, 10:11 PM
Problem: Create a DEM from contour data
Obstacle: Using map cleanup - there are around 30000 crossing lines.

How did the contour lines get crossed to begin with? Are they all on one layer?
Got a screen shoot of the contours?